Home› Chat› General Chat

Whats happened to the 220 forum?

The various problems probably haven't helped:
User's being unable to Edit, send PMs or Quote without resetting their account. I had to work that one out myself.
Unable to login.

I STILL have to delete all cookies every single time I visit the site, or it won't let me login. Very very annoying!
I can't see the Developers helping as I'm in that Macintosh minority.

All that won't help the cause.

Comments

• durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    My mac works fine now I deleted all the cookies - perhaps I've got a different OS????
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    gun I am a mac user to.

If you go into file> preferences > security > show all cookies > search for 220, then highlight those and delete them that should do the trick
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    TommiTri wrote:
    gun I am a mac user to.

If you go into file> preferences > security > show all cookies > search for 220, then highlight those and delete them that should do the trick
    Cheer Tommi but I already do that. EVERY-SINGLE-BLOODY-TIME!
    For the geeks: Have you seen seen how many cookies the Forum is throwing out and how old some of them are!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    I agree that the forum and debates have died off,some might glance over see BCTTT and switch off particularly if they are already members of a Tri club and the posts don't interest them.Most members seem to have eventually reached the new forum.Another reason could be that is holiday time ,kids off school so little time to devote to Tri or similar.
    Some debates are raised and lost inside other threads.Personally once the BCTTT forum is running then more threads will be raised.Since the london tri is bound to be televised there might be an upsurge in new members asking questions.
    Another reason could be over familiarity breeding complacancy.
    I am surprised no one has even questioned or argued against the use of the forum by BCTTT,I would have thought even Treefrog would have put his two penneth worth in the mix.I enjoy a good debate,and confliction means no one is missing out.
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Its a funny thing.......but shit happens......i sort of stepped back from the forum not because of the login issues (because to be honest i didn't really have any), no. It was because the majority of the thread topics changed from triathlon type stuff to personal type stuff.......i can't give examples but i got the feeling that the forum was turning into a general chat room, rather than a triathlon forum.

Don't get me wrong, i have no probs with general chat stuff, in fact i loved the sarcasm and general undertone of humour in most of our posts - so its wasn't that. But the humour was at least about triathlon stuff!!! Wolly tri-suits, fast red stuff etc. I think it started to tail off somewhere and we never got back to the real stuff.

I guess it will return when the seasons over and we're all missing competing (not that i am ). We'll all compensate by talking about tri instead of actually doing it.

That is of course, unless i find myself consumed by the soon to be worlds largest tri-club.

I love you all........Brother GR
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    I must admit to being someone who doesnt bother with the 220 Forum much now because as you say it seems a lot of BCTTT stuff. At the moment 5 of the first 11 posts are about BCTTT. I dont have a problem with this and I think Darren has done a brilliant job in what he has done for all the rookies and in setting up the club. I hope this club goes from strength to strength as I'm sure it will but it is not for me as Im already a member of 2 Triathlon Clubs and 1 Cycling Club.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I would expect most activity to be in the "close season" - where people are developing there strategy/techniques for the races ahead.

I would hope that most people are out there doing it... rather than hanging around on the internet.

Also, each individual has a particular trajectory - as they start from eyes and mouth open beginner, soaking everything up, to seasoned campaigner. It's hard to be objective about how active/useful the forum is.

Currently, we are getting some new questions from new people. Which is good. And if I can answer them in a positive way, I will (although I might digress a little bit away from hard action).

Certainly, the feel from a month or so ago, when people where full of nervous excitement as they prepared for their, in many cases, first events has passed. But that has passed.

I think we have built up a good culture, generally, of being supportive of beginners etc. I particularly like the race reports, which are something that has developed. To my mind, they make as good a reading as anything in the mag.

Thinking back, the reasons I joined can be put down to 1) obsession with porridge 2) obsession with body image. It chimed with some of my own obsessions - so I felt that these were people on, broadly speaking, the same wavelength. The more technical aspects can be obtained from many places! So, I like the discussions where peoples individual characteristics come through!

OK, I've just rambled away there....
  • I personally got annoyed when the look of the forum changed and login was a pain in the rear. Also, as previously stated a lot of my initial interest in the forum was based on the fact I hadn't done a tri before and was getting loads of info to help me out on that. Having done the Rookie day, ow course and a sprint I have less questions than I previously did. However, I still look on here all the time as I really enjoy learning about the 99% of things regarding triathlon I don't know!
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Must admit i've posted a lot less recently.

I've noticed the likes of Benny have gone, treefrog is almost a memory, Tommitri and Bopo are also less frequent in posting.

My opinion is there are no too many posts to get your teeth into and the forum has less posts on page one so it doesn't take long for a few crap posts to shift the good ones to page 2.

I only ever read page 1. I'm sure others do too so we lose a lot of good posts.

Also it's racing season most people will be putting the questions they asked into practice?

Give it a month or so and the forum will be inundated with turbo trainer posts, what to watch to pass the time, what to buy for xamas etc.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    May as well shamelessly get post 300 in!

G
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Umm, yeh your right mate I haven't been posting on here much recently. I think a big thing is the new layout etc. It has really put me off, I'm not sure why it just has!
    Also I have to agree a bit with bathtub, I'm not really too interested in the BCTTT stuff and there isn't much else on here at the moment!
    And I think it could be in part down to a lot of the people that used to write on here benny etc. having left. I think you get to know people a fair bit on these forums, I felt like i knew a fair bit about them and they about me. I guess its like going into a pub and all of your mates have left and you have got to try and start conversations with people you don't know, eventually you do and find out that there are great people to talk to, but its difficult at first.
  • maltesermalteser Posts: 25
    i'm fairly new to this and i can't really say what the forum was like a while back but I have to say that as a newbie much of it happens to be quite interesting ... some of the questions I may ask may be silly but I really appreciate that ppl take time to check my questions out and answer

also it is racing season and ppl are concentrating on their own thing and their racing so mayble it'll pick up come october ... here's wishing it does
  • RockieRockie Posts: 40
    I never changed a thing once I made the switch, it's been a hassle for a while. But this week, everything works. The old bookmarks takes me straight to the new forum, automatic login without deleting cookies, the works.

Just in time for something better to come along.

I'm based across the pond so no chance of signing up to BCTTT. How do I get a login on your forum?
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    To be honest I think things had started tailing off well before the switch to the new forum, and the problems caused by the switch just exaccerbated things. Treefrog, Benny, Bopo and the like had been posting less and less as the weather got nicer post-Easter, and topics were becoming tamer and less tri-oriented. Couple that with the wide-eyed newbies who were cacking it back in thw winter getting their triathlon wings.

As far as topic themes go, isn't this just a natural periodisation of the sport?
    Winter = which turbo / how to lay a good base
    Spring = how do I go faster?
    Post Easter / Summer = people out there doing it so mainly Q&As about big races like Blenheim, Windosr, London, IMUK etc
    Autumn = back to trubos & base training

I still enjoy coming on here, but it has been a bit flat for a few months now. The BCTTT stuff doesn't put me off, as I'm quite up for being a part of it, and the flurry of activity at the moment is because it's all new, but it will die down once the foundations are layed.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    With you on this one conehead...seems to have stagnated since the switch.

I'd be interested to find out how many folks have not posted since the switch.....
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I hear my name being called.............well like Tommi I don't like the new layout, but don't know why. I have not been able to make my own password (or am I being dense) & I can't remember the issued one as its too many letters & numbers & since I post at work on a shared computer at times this is not something I can ask the computer to remember.
    The tri club is great but as Bathtub my involvement with my current club is increasing as I stage a Coneheadesque takeover of the coaching programme..as a route to self enrichment & sharing the knowledge I steal off here.
    Oh and I have been asked to do some work AT WORK!!! with a deadline of July 31st so I sorta had to...I am sure normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    The new forum is not easy to use and that is off putting, at least for me. But I wonder if a lot of the problem is because we are all now doing what we planned so excitedly a few months back?

Like a mid term blues sort of thing?

Anyway, I am about to post a race report- without a happy ending!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I personally like the new forum, ok its got its flaws but I think its better.... just my preference.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Thats only because you get to play god....
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    Britspin wrote:
    I have not been able to make my own password .
    Me either!

When I attempt to change it it says my email addres is already registered. So furstrating
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Its got alot to do with the old guard not be around anymore. Not forgetting some are here like Britspin, Conehead and niagh!
    Where are Amazon, Treefrog and Benny's not been around for more than six months.

Are we not posting so much as the answers arent so spot on is it because we actually know the answers?

I am not sure and still have loads of questions but an slightly hesitant to ask!

Can the 220 team not email all members and remind then the forum is still here your password is.............. and come back!!!!?????
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    I'm here! I'm here!

I've been away for 3.5 weeks in heavenly bliss in the south of France. Did lots and LOTS of cycling, will post that in in appropriate 'training' thread.

I hope the forum retains its atmosphere. It's by far the friendliest forum I've used and I love it.
    blurredgirl
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Good to have you back blurredgirl!

Now, what about this training en France?
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I agree something has gone wrong - perhaps everyone is competing or training I don't know.

I latched onto this forum when starting out becuase it was friendly, I could ask all sorts of daft Q's that had been asked before (did try searching though) and didn't get flamed with a terse 'search' or 'read FAQ's' People can give answers and opinions and there is no nasty nit picking, flaming etc.

I try to give back as much as I have picked up, I hope my postings are useful and am always ready to be corrected. On my postings I often include a link that the OP could have found I suppose but I don't mind, I try to be helpful and as honest and accurate as possible and if I think I am right on the edge of my (limited but growing) knowledge try to remember to put in a disclaimer.

So come on - bring on your questions!
    Maybe some of the forumites have matured,and feel that as they have posted a large number of times they are reluctant to field an answer incase they get berated for putting a silly reply.Evidence of maturity from Mr Roberts' first photo avatar of him sucking his thumb to now standing looking like a responsible person :roll:
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    eh.........don't judge my photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its just a photo!!!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't mean anything!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still suck my thumb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My god!
    garyroberts wrote:
    eh.........don't judge my photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its just a photo!!!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't mean anything!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still suck my thumb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My god!
    I am not judging you,it is that you look toooooo responsible a person.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    I've tried to give a good kick up the backside today, and posted quite a few issues for reponse and debate, because I'm inetrested in views and others experiences. We just need to keep asking and answering to keep it going.
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    I thought you were aiming for a full Top 10 Posts by Triumphant

Seriously though, it's really good to see more life back in the forum, nice one Triumphant.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Thought I'd jump in a raise a few questions and topics prior to the usual lunch time onslaught, and it'll give me something to read this afternoon.

Like the idea if a top 10, might see if I can get my name on every subject on the opening page tomorrow, so I'll better have a good think about any other questions I need aswering