Home Chat General Chat

Switch from sprint to Oly?

md6md6 Posts: 969
Ive just seen the the Dextro tri in Hyde park has announced that there will be an Oly distance available as well as a sprint. I have entered the sprint but the website says that I can switch my entry to the Oly...

All my training so far has been based on sprint distance - i.e. i haven't swam 1,500m in open water ever and have only done it twice in the pool - as my first Oly is not until the end of sept. I have never biked 40k, but on the plus side i have dome some long run sections of a brick off the bike (about 5miles run off a 25k bike).

So given it is in 1 month, and I am doing the London to Southend bike ride this weekend so can't really train much...do i have enough time to step up or should i stick with the planned sprint?

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    you know what we're all gonna say don't ya?
    Yes you do.....
    you can do it mate, you can bike 40k, that's easy......you can run the 10k, its only a little further than 5k.......swimming is not so easy but if you've done it in the pool then you can do it in OW.....even if you mix in a minute or two of BS.....

its a massive challenge but its only your fear getting in the way...NOT YOUR ABILITY!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    cheers Gary, i guess i'll just HTFU and get my entry switched...the fear is already starting to eat at me, but then i know i can do the distance. I think i just don't like the unknown and unplanned. Right I'm going to do it now before i change my mind...
    you'll be soooooooooo chuffed when you cross that line.

Go for it mate......i envy you.
    cheers Gary, i think i just wanted to have someone convince me it would be a good idea...
  • Absolutely do it! I'm doing one, as you know having given me advice on how to step it up a notch time-wise, and if I can do it-well, 'nuff said! I remember thinking at the only sprint tri I've done 'hey, it's only about twice this distance!'. You'll do great. I think you'll be surprised at how quickly you can do the longer distances now you have a reason to.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Do it, you'll be more than capable!!
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    You can do it!
    I did.
    Until 3 weeks before my first OD I'd never swam 1500m in one go.
    The weekend before I did 2 loops of 1500. So I know knew I could do the swim, my biggest worry was out of the way and I could just get on with it.
    One thing I will say, before I started I promised myself I was going to relax and enjoy it and most importantly finish NO MATTER WHAT!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    gunforhire wrote:
    One thing I will say, before I started I promised myself I was going to relax and enjoy it and most importantly finish NO MATTER WHAT!
    Sound advice gfh, which I shall be heeding! I keep putting all kinds of pressure on myself for my first OD in september... calculating projected times for each discipline. Setting myself up for a big disappointment.

First time it's all about finishing! Next year I'll worry about times (or maybe that 70.3 I keep promising to do.. DOH!)
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    I'm exactly the same. I put all this pressure on myself and forget to enjoy it!
    Hell, I'm juggling a business, wife and two young children, sleepless nights and I still think I'm going to be able to go out there and race like Tim Don! :roll:
    I try and remind myself that I'm doing as much as I can healthily fit in. I'm not going to catch the guys that can give 12 hours a week to training, so what's the point stressing?
    We're Age Groupers, dammit! We're supposed to be doing this for fun! Just enjoy it and try and give 100% on race day.
  • nessytnessyt Posts: 25
    Im now thinking of doing the Oly distance too but like you have been training for a sprint distance! Wish someone would make the decision for me ( & pay for it lol!!!!)
    OK I've done it, i have emailed them to change my entry to the Oly and I am now starting to look forward to it even more.

I went and swam 1,500m in the pool last night and although it took 39mins I managed it and i kept up with the bloke who got in half way through and was doing sets of 2 lengths then rest for a few seconds then 2 lengths etc. And was faster than some of the people in the fast lane next to me (which isn't saying much in my pool - maybe that's one for the pool ettiquette thread).
    nessyt wrote:
    Im now thinking of doing the Oly distance too but like you have been training for a sprint distance! Wish someone would make the decision for me ( & pay for it lol!!!!)
    Do it! You know you want too!

Are you doing the same race - if so there isn't a charge for the switch (at least they haven't mentioned it anywhere)
  • Feel this tread needs someone in the other camp though prop to late for md6 as you have changed your entery!
    I've just done a olympic at the weekend and it was only my second olympic to date i had just done sprints so far all year and i really stuggled with the extra distance on the bike as i pushed it to hard in the first 20k or so and then ran out of steam on the last bit of the bike and had to hobble the run i felt very disapointed with my time and at the moment it has put me off doing olympic.

That said i suppose it was my own fault for picking a hard olypmic to do (45K HILLY cycle) and not having done quite enough run training oh and losing my water bottle on the first 5k of the cycle did not help.

So if you are gonna do it my bit of advice would be to get a as much milage in as you can and to train eating on the bike (another problem i had as i lost my water bottle i could not take my gel until the run which was to late as i could hear my stomagh rumbeling on the bike!)

best of luck!
  • nessytnessyt Posts: 25
    Ive done it!!!!!!!ive signed up, oh know!!! md6 this is all your fault!!!!! lol, better increase the training, luckily i have been doing more training lately, did 10km run last night & 20 mile bike on Sunday & have been training 6 days a week over the past 2 weeks! Have a sprint distance in just over a week at Thame. My only worry is open water swimming, havent done that yet even though im a good swimmer, will need to do that in the next few weeks. md6 let me know how your training goes!

Im excited now!
    Brilliant Nessy, I will keep you up dated. I have a nice long bike on sunday (London to Southend 56 miles apparently) althoug it is more of a tour than a race, i can still get used to the time in the saddle and where i can, throw some sprints and stuff in. there are a few hills on the route too so i'm really excited for that!
  • Got my first OD in mid August, I've done the swim in OW in 32mins, but my pool time is much slower, i think a combo of the wetsuit and not turning drops your time, also i noticed that on the longer swims, rather than get tired you have more time to loosen up and relax, the second 750m loop was much better than the first, i just wish i could be in that relaxed a state for my shorter OW swims but it always takes me a while. You'll definitely be fine.
    I've done the cycle distance, but not tried any brick sessions yet which i need to get on to ...

My OD swim is in the sea, i have visions of trying to swim up that wave in the Perfect Storm.

courage
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Where are you doing the sea swim that would have those waves?! Pipeline!??? lol cause if its brighton, you'll be fine.....
  • It's in Seaford which is near Eastbourne .. I believe they call it 'little Mavericks" for it's freak 100ft swells .. or did I just dream that up ?
    I'll be fine, although there is a slight current in one direction but it helps you on the way back .. there was when i last did a sprint there about 5 years ago anyway.

bodi