Home Chat General Chat

turbo training sessions?

Never really done much structured training on the bike before. Have recently aquired a turbo trainer and started out on it but wondered if there were any sources for good training sessions/plans specific for turbo trainers or if anyone has seesions they find particularly good?[8|]

Comments

• Hi greenb

I've been using some of the Spinnervals series and found them really good. 5 weeks of 'Big Gear' training has transformed my performance on hills (just wish I'd found it before Wimbleball this year!).

• What sort of Turbo have you got Pacrfish?

I have a Tacx and it has adjustable resistance. I find that changing gear on the bike does nothing except make the wheel go round faster. If i move the resistance up above level 2 (5 available) then i get lots of slip on the back wheel especially if i try to push hard.

Any thoughts?

DAvid
  • One I like (not having any Spinervals, or any idea for that matter). I can't take credit for its creation, but I can't remember where I got it from...

Warm up (5min, 10 min whatever suits)

then a pyramid of intervals, 1-2-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-2-1 (minutes)

Within each interval, 4 sessions (so for the 1 minute interval, 4 sessions of 15s):

1/4 - easy spinning 70-75%HRmax @ 95rpm

1/4 - moderate ~80%HRmax @65-75rpm (big gear)

1/4 - hard ~85%HRmax @105rpm

1/4 - recovery - light spin

then nice easy spin to cool down followed by beer & pizza [:D]

I like it anyway (and thanks to whoever created this if they're reading)

Rob

• cheers robsaund will give this one a go, just unsure about the interval times for beer and pizza also ? heart rates during this part.
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Hi there,

Don't know if you have a heart rate monitor, but if you do. turbo trainers are excellent for uing them.

If you o to Ipswich Tri clubs website there is a 12 week training plan which can be downloaded in PDF. This is quite good, but as I said it trains utilising a HRM.

Hope this may help
  • Spinnervals series

What are these and where could I find these?

Many Thanks,

Paul

• bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Have a look at the Joe Beer website http://www.jbst.com/

click-Enter Here

click-Free Resources

click-Indoor Cycling

Voila
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I've tried alot of the fancy stuff : 10 on 5 off x5 etc and more and more!! This year I decided to go for a 60 km once a week flat out. It worked ... I got faster.... but having done the hard work the answer is to DO INTERVALS to hit the podium. I'm going for IM 70.3 IM this year so I' m continuing with the 60km fast as you can programme
  • the bellythe belly Posts: 125
    Error whilst Doing a Replacement, Error in srv_convert.
  • eclectroeclectro Posts: 6
    greenb wrote:

Never really done much structured training on the bike before. Have recently aquired a turbo trainer and started out on it but wondered if there were any sources for good training sessions/plans specific for turbo trainers or if anyone has seesions they find particularly good?[8|]

I've been using turbo trainers for over 2 yrs. My advice is buy a book (if you want advice on any feel free to ask), work out your max and average HR and take it from there.

Its worth taking the time to sort out a proper programme.
  • Have to recommend Spinervals.

I started with the easiest one, Fitness 1.0 - Ride Strong with Team Clydesdale, great fun, makes the time pass quickly. Have progressed onto Competition 1.0 - No Slackers Allowed!!, far harder, but still great fun.....

You can't beat Coach Troy spurring you on!
  • greenb wrote:

Have recently aquired a turbo trainer and started out on it but wondered if there were any sources for good training sessions/plans specific for turbo trainers or if anyone has seesions they find particularly good?[8|]

http://www.turbotraining.co.uk

Brilliant turbo training website where you can play the plans on the computer! Well worth a look