Home Chat General Chat

fuel intake while racing

I recently did ripon (black sheep tri) and experienced the first real problem while competing.

I was using a relative new sports drink ( only used it twice before) and taking jell's while doing the race and got stomach cramps . I never experienced this before and it made the race uncomfortable to say the least.

I was using all sport srg istonic drink and sis jel . I am looking for advice on full intake during races and any recommadtion for sport drink's to use while racing

Comments

• gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Too much gel and sports drink, not enough water?
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Conehead wrote:
    All I'm saying (to everyone) is how do you fuel yourself for the other 99% of the week when not doing a triathlon?
    In the interest of lively debate, isn't fuelling yourself to get through 2.5-3h of triathlon a tad different to fuelling yourself when not doing triathlon?

For example, I had my muesli at 7.30, and made it through to lunch 5 hours later with only an apple in between, but I've been sat on my ass in front of a PC all morning, and the only "exercise" I've had is 2 trips to the water cooler!
  • nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    Maybe I'm a fatty but I could not last that long, 5 hours without anything!!!
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    I think what CH is saying here is having a balanced diet will affect your performance more than just concentrating on race fuel for 2hrs+. What you fuel yourself with normally throughout the day and week has a huge bairing on your overall race performance.

Race fueling should NEVER be neglected though, having a tried and tested regime AND a back up plan B (if it starts going pete tong) is very important. But eating total crap normaly and then eating some pasta the night before will not do you any favours.......