Home Chat General Chat

GPS/HRM/NOTHING ?!?!? AAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Struggling with a choice of training watch/computer/gps thingy..

Can't really afford the full gps thing at the moment. (want to spend the money i do have on a turbo to make me go faster ) but still need a hrm.

Do you think i should go for the basic hr monitor - around £70.

e.g. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/triathlon/10/ ... 360032913/

Or is it worth spending the extra on one i can connect to a computer (guess it'll just show what range i was in etc...)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Timex ... 4229/#more

Can't find a review of the above anywhere....

Or forget the hrm - keep trying to get my fitness up and then blow a small fortune on the new Garmin in 6 months?!?!?

What's the consensus - i'm lost

Comments

• durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    I got a Garmin Forerunner 50 HRM that connects to the computer it cost me £30 from Amazon and seems to work well. I'm about to buy a cadence monitor to go with it that will be another £30 but will make me go faster on the bike........
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    so that records all the data from running, cycling plus cadence and you can look at it on nice graphs etc... sounds like a bargain!!!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Alright Will!

Just to throw something else in the mix I picked up a garmin 305 from Amazon (gps, HRM) for £146. I was tempted to wait for the 310xt but funds were a bit tight and not sure I'd use it for swimming anyway.

Its looks quite bulky, but is surprisingly comfortable. I was driving myself insane as you are but eventually thought I'd take the plunge. Happy too.
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    I think there's another extra bit you have to get to do the cadence while running thing that attaches on your shoe but it does the heart rate/time/splits thing and remembers them all.

It should automatically download to the computer but I have to confess I've not got so obsessed by numbers yet that I could be bothered to set up the plug in (also I'm a mac user so my experience might not have been typical ) I should get round to setting it up but I've lost my mojo -see other thread

Feedback on Amazon for the download thing was good though

I liked it because it was cheap but I could up grade it if I wanted and it wouldn't matter so much if I ended up not using it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunn ... 032&sr=8-1

But not cheap right now - think it is quite often though
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Forerunner 305, £140 does pretty much everything. I dont race on HR so dont wear the HR strap in races, but put the watch on when on the run, as it gives you accurate pacing info and time speed etc...

As a training tool I cant fault mine, every bit of geeky data youll need and gives you accurate data to judge your performance on to see where your progressing.

In my experience its worth digging a little deeper into your pocket (if you can) as it saves you upgrading the kit when youve "outgrown" it. I wont be upgrading my 305 for the 310xt, no point, no GPS when swimming means its no better to me than my 305.
    Oh dear - think i've almost persuaded myself to get the Garmin 305.

Does anyone have any experience of using it in London - do quite a lot of my running there - GPS signal work?

It does look massive though !!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    My limited experience using it at the moment I've had no problems.

Mate, I'll be round shoreditch way thursday morning for my swim class. If you can duck out of work I can let you have a gander, try my 305 on. See what you think before you splash the cash?

Let me know, not a problem.
    Dave you are a star....
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    I use mine in london all the time and its never let me down, sometimes takes a few minutes initialy to find sattelites but once its locked your sorted!!!
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    If youre really on a budget, i can heartily reccomend Tesco's HRM.

waterproof, easy to use and dear god it even shows the time. at 15 quid, if you really hate it you can give it to a mate. i like to spend my money on interesting things.....sorry boys, i'm a lady and gadgets that i dont understand just dont interest me that much.

Ooh....! Shoes.....!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    i have the 405 but i think the gps system is the same as the 305, it works really well in London - although some time in Central london it can take a little while to find a satellite - i have waited 5mins in Green park for a signal at lunchtime sometimes.
    From what i have heard the 305 is a great bit of kit (as is the 405 but it looks a little better and is less bulky) That said if your budget is restricted then the garmin 50 (or could be 60 now) is quite good, but not gps it has a foot pod.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    e-bay lots of 301's and 305's for a reasonable price