Home Chat General Chat

Anyone fancy swapping my London Triathlon Sprint distance?

Hi..it's with a heavy heart that I've come to the conclusion I wont be able to complete the swim leg of the Sprint distance London Triathlon (750m). Basically I've had a heap of personal and work stuff on my plate over the last 6 months thats prevented me from getting any swim training in and with 5 weeks to go I've got to be realistic and admit defeat, I just wont be able to manage the 750m swim on the day not matter how much training i get in over the next 5 weeks.

I know its a long shot but if anyone on here has a Super sprint entry and fancies "upgrading" to the Sprint distance let me know - I'll swap places with you in a heart beat.

Just an idea.

Cheers all.
Steve

# Mods - pls note that this is topic is also posted in the Events section - sorry for the double post #

Comments

• gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I wouldn't junp the gone on that and give up your place. If you planning on doing the Superspsint (400m swim) in lieu of the Sprint (750m swim), is there a huge difference. Battle on over the extra 350m, once you get into it you'll be fine. Only having 5 weeks left to train, that's more than enough to get you up to fitness for 750m. Give it a go, and don't give up your place because you don't think you can do it. On the day, you will.
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    I have to agree - not so very long ago, I was concerned that there was no way I'd be able to go 750 OW, but last weekend I did 1200 and got out fresh. You've still got 5 weeks to go, and although I don't know where you are now, I'm sure if you keep training as much as you can, you'll be absolutely fine. Think of the achievement you'll have when you pull it off! You'll be surprised how much you can come on in that time - I know!
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    5 weeks go for it...

You can crawl a bit, breast stroke a bit, doggy paddle a bit!?!?!?

Need to start today though!!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Even if you breastroke all the way round you won't be the only one. Have a think on it, give yourself a few weeks at least.

What can you swim now? Can you do 400m front crawl? If you give up your spot you may kick yourself later. Loads of people on here who are willing to give you advice and support. No question too silly!
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    I agree...don't do it - swap that is!! Go for it..jump in feet first! You'll be fine...and think how elated you will be once you are out of that water!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    The path to triathlon success is never easy! Put all the stuff behind you and find a positive place to train like a crazy man. finish and you will feel like a hero. We will all be heard as one one as we shout you are a triathlete when you finish and post a really cool and amazing race report! Time is not an issue its you against the course.

Do it, di it, do it!
  • chapperschappers Posts: 97
    obviously don't know your circumstances, but if it's a lack of  training
    problem, I'm sure you can do itin 5 weeks! I started front  crawl in April (first
    time since I was 12 and I'm now 32). I did  about 4 weeks
    (maybe 2-3 45min sessions per week) of training before  cracking a rib.

I started again two weeks ago and I did 2x750m OW on Sat and 750m in  the
    pool last night... I'm racing on Sunday :-D

My personal experience was focusing on drills and not distance (I  got
    disheartened by the fact I could only string together 4 lengths at a  time).  It
    really surprised me how much say, 10 intervals of 2x25m  sprints
    improved my swimming fitness. Another good one is the  pyramid that I
    got from someone on the forum I can't remember (and  now can't search
    for to thank... thanks forum). Basically 5, 4, 3,  2, 1 lengths with a
    fast lap at beginning and end (e.g. 1 fast, 3  easy, 1 fast, 1min rest;
    1 fast, 2 easy, 1 fast;...). There's always breast stroke as I'm sure I'll have to fall back on on Sunday

Hope you decide to stick with it!
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    dont swap mate, i'm not a strong swimmer but in a wetsuit OW swimming is much easier...you can just take a breather and float if you get too tired....i was so scared of the swim last weekend in my first tri and that was only 400m...i could definately have finished 750....5 weeks training is enough...maybe also see a swim coach for some drills...you'll get on fine.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    NO NO NO you CAN DO THIS - go on join the rest of us who will be not setting any water based speed records and it is sooooooooo much easier in a wetsuit - infact why not have a go in the pool in one and you'll see that you're not so tired because you're not deperately keeping your body in the right plane

I expect to meet you on the pontoon I'll be the pea green one
  • nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    I don't think anyone will swap with you that's probably because we've all been there.

Last year I was stood looking down the barrel of a 750 swim and crapping my pants, but I did it!!! It took me 28 minutes but what a feeling I felt like I'd just done a deca ironman.

Dont give up you've got loads of options take a longer slower stroke, do a bit of breast stroke. If you can why not try and get down to the Blueseventy lakes near reading (if time and geography allow) and just have a play in the water.

But you will be fine and I think your new tri family will look after you they have me and I just did my first OD.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Yep, what everybody else said. We all feel a bit of self-doubt now and again. Just get some training in, and remember you'll be wearing a wet-suit so you could probably do it just by getting pulled around in the slip-stream of everybody else.

This advice comes from an idiot who entered his first half-IM with just 6 weeks to go. I managed that with no specific training, no clue and no food strategy. I did it powered by stubborn stupidity, grim determination, a hand-full of jelly babies and a manly chunk of Soreen.

Get on with it, old bean.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Oh, I forgot to say.... you have to produce photo ID to get your timing chip, so you can't swap places anyway. Tough plop, matey, you're in it for the distance.
    Oh, I forgot to say.... you have to produce photo ID to get your timing chip, so you can't swap places anyway. Tough plop, matey, you're in it for the distance.
    Oh dear looks like your in...

good to have you back Bopomofo
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Pull yourself together man! You're a triathlete..

Seriously, think what you are doing it for: Do something that is a challenge. It's not supposed to be easy! You're not competing against anyone other than yourself, and adversity.

If you think you _can't_ do it, just think how great it will be when you _do_.

You don't have to be first out of the water; just get out of the water. If you can do 400m, you can do 750m. Just a case of slowing down, taking it easy, a bit of breastroke etc. So what if you don't perform to your potential - you will have done the best you can under the circumstances - and, next year, you'll have an easy target to beat!

Put a 5 week plan together, nothing too ambitious - just enough to give you confidence. Have an OW swim session - perhaps do the 750m, at a slow pace, just so you know you can do it!

Go for it!
  • OK, ok! , I've been beaten into submission by all your positive replies.... damn you lot..lol.
    (shouted from the rooftop of his house):I WILL DO IT AND NOT BE A LILLY LIVERED CHICKEN AND BACK OUT..

Right then, where do I start ? My current situation is I can basically swim 3 lengths of my local pool (orpington) before having to take a 1 min breather. I believe a length in my local pool is 33 m so thats only 99m before having to stop (!!!!!!!!!). After the breather I'm able to cover a couple of lengths at a time before taking another 1 min rest. In total I only covered 15 lengths before getting out the pool totally dejected by my lack of swim fitness.

What can I do to reach the magic 750m distance training wise to make the grade? I can dedicate 3 swims a week (maybe 4 at a push). I like the idea of a training plan rather than just trying to push myself and hope for the best...maybe a pyramid training plan as suggested would be good...although I'm a bit concerned i'll not be able to even start it due to only being able to cover 2 to 3 lengths anyway. PLEASE, PLEASE any suggestions will help at this stage.

It's good to hear the wetsuit will help although I dont want to reply on that if I can help it.

Lastly, thanks for all your encouragement...I so wish I had joined this forum before.

Cheers again everyone.

Steve
  • I just thought about the specific problems I'm having with the swim....and it's my breathing mainly. I tend to gulp in air every 3rd stroke (so I'm breathing on opposite sides) and then forget to breath out again (!)...then I'm left breathing out when I'm supposed to be breathing in and it's a total nightmare that ends up with me out of breath and swallowing half the pool water. Maybe I should breath every 2nd stroke (even though it will be the same side)? Any suggestions??????
  • fatstufatstu Posts: 46
    I suffered with the same problem. It was fixed when I started to concentrate on blowing out through all of the three strokes so I'm ready to breath in again when the time comes. When I get 100m into every triathlon and feel my chest is going to explode it's normally because the people around me have made me forget to breathe out. Once I start again I'm fine
  • Im SpartacusIm Spartacus Posts: 204
    Well done you've made the right choice.

Anyway I started from a very similar position to you, I'm still no fish but I get by. My advice would be to get into a lake asap, although it was the most scary thing I did, it was so much easier than pool swimming it gave me a massive confidence boast. Plus I discovered that I couldn't sink in a wetsuit.

From a stroke point of view, a long SLOW stroke is the order of the day and although bilateral breathing is the way forward, I would try breathing every 2 strokes to see how it goes. I suspect you may be trying to go too fast.

Anyway the swim should be the least of your worries, it's the run that really hurts.
    Great news Steve! Glad to hear you're going to give it a go.

Nothing wrong with breathing on one side either! Most coaches will recommend it for evening out your stroke and to enable you to breathe either side should you need to (i.e. waves on one side or someone uncomfortably close). If breathing every two is more comfortable at this stage I'd go for it.

I can't stress enough how valuable having a coach look at your stroke can be. If cost is an issue, ask around at the local pool you might be able to get a coach to look at your stroke cash in hand. I did a swimfortri underwater filming session last year and it was a revelation.

There are a lot of experienced swimmers on this forum who can offer there own advice. But for the time being go as often as you can. Maybe see how far you can go breaststroking just as a back up and again, if you need to breaststroke you won't be the only one!
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    Hi Steve,

Great that you're going to have a go. I agree with everything that's been said so far. Don't forget:

1. You have to try really hard to sink in a wet suit
    2. Drafting is a good thing in the swim - that'll make it easier
    3. As long as you get out of the water it doesn't matter if you have to do doggie paddle
    4. You certainly won't be last out (I'm sure)

Try for a long slow stroke, make a conscious effort to breathe out through your nose (I count the rhythm in my head to make sure I get the breath out through the stroke), if you don't want to breathe in yet you can do another stroke or one less if you need to - you're in control of the breathing don't let it control you - you decide when and what side you want to breathe on and if you need to - lift your head in the middle of the stroke - you can call it sighting Keep your head down and use your body rotation to breathe - that will give you a bit more time. If you need more time then you can always swim on your side with the stroking arm by your hip and the other extended out in front with your head turned just so you can take a breath for a few seconds to give you the time - it doesn't need to be fast to begin with

Try not to rely on a fast "butterfly" kick but a strong slow two beat kick - only about 10 % of your power comes from the kick but it uses about 80 - 90% of the oxygen - and you need your legs for later any way.

I suggest you start off with one length then a 30 second rest then two lengths and a minute rest and so on up to a distance you feel comfortable with and then down again. don't think too much about how many more lengths you have to do, try to just concentrate on each stroke - after all you can always do one more stroke right?

Does that help?

Good luck!
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    i recommend getting an OW swim in before the real thing...really really recommend it. it can be a bit of a shock otherwise.

try and get someone to kick you in the face at the same time for added realism
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    What about getting some hoodies with knives. I tought we're trying to eoncourage him, not scare him to death.

The points are valid though, but if you keep to the side or back of the pack, then you won't be in the melee and shoud be OK. As to OW swiming, I would recommend it, but let's get the pool bit done first.
    I would def go for breathing every 2 strokes - i do every three when training and then every 2 in a race as i need the extra oxygen!!

Practice a bit of drafting in the pool - its amazing how much energy it saves.

Don't know if you got my pm - but i'm off to liquid lesiure on 11th or 18th if you fancy it....

Good luck!
  • Just thought I'd mention that my swimming came on leaps and bounds over the early weeks just through my general fitness and lung capacity increasing with the quite basic runs and cycles I was doing. After one good evening cycle session .. i had a rest day then went back to the pool and found after I had struggled through my usual 10 x 25m pool set where i would normally have to stop...behold .. I found I could do more .. and not just a little more .. I'd go on to about 25 lengths. It really does come in sudden great gains.

I found that learning to breath bilaterally really helps, it took a but more practice and it requires me to be very relaxed, so the race i did last night I had to start with breathing every 2 strokes until i got more comfortable, then gradually switched to bilateral ..every now and then i switched back to a breath every 2... but the final stretch i did bilateral non stop which got me past a few people

Keep practicing .. you're definitely able to get through that 750m, you'll get to the end and feel like doing more
    So Steve how's the swimming going??? Have you managed to get in the water 3 times a week?
  • Fellas, Ladies, people....I CAN DO IT!!!!!

I took all of your advice (well the best bits from each) and put it all into practise...I did the open water swimming session in at the london docks and it went really, really, really badly. I managed about 250m before panicking and getting negative (telling myself I wont make it, that my wet suit is too tight, etc, etc). Overall the day itself didnt do much other than freak me out - it was poorly attended with very few coaches, etc and I didnt get any advice at all regarding breathing or stroke technique. Later that evening I was ready to throw the towel in and call it a day. After virtually living at my local swimming pool for the last month to not be able to cover the distance in the open water was really demoralising (and yes I know a month isnt long enough...but I know for next time!). Anyway, I came to work yesterday (via bike of course) and found my local tri club (white oaks) on the net. So with the intention of letting them know that someone more worthy than I can have my place in the London tri and I noticed they were holding an open water swimming session at a local lake that night (!!). A phone call later and the chairman was only too pleased to talk me out of giving up and insisting I come along. I cycled home, grabbed my wetsuit, googles and hat and drove all the way there telling myself I'll end up drowning for sure.

Anyway, I managed 2 laps of the 400m circuit, albeit with some stops to catch my breath and generally got used to floating around in a wetsuit in a lake. After 10 mins I relaxed and starting to get a slow rythum to my stroke and started to love it. Better still I can manage to get another 2 monday night open water swims in before the event itself - result.

So, a big BIG thanks to all those that told me to persist. I'm a confident, overally optimistic person normally so I'm not used to giving in easily but this time I really thought I'd screwed up..until I saw all your posts. Thanks a lot and I look forward to seeing you all sometime at an "above Super Sprint" distance tri soon. I'll be the one at the back of the swim, smiling and loving every minute of it.
    Brilliant Steve, reading that post gave me goosebumps!

Really chuffed for you mate and good on you for sticking at it where many would have given up!
    GET IN!!!!!! Really pleased you did it let us know how you get on when you do it. I used to have the same panic when I got in the water now I love it. Now when I get out the water (usually at the back) I always give the air a punch and makes me feel like I've won the race.

You do realise now you're getting into the world of triathlon you'll start spending every penny on stuff you don't need and start thinking of stupid challenges to do.

Good luck, not that you need it.
    Just realised my first sentence does not make sense but you get the idea I think.

How do you edit a pot
  • cheers for the replies fellas.

I've already got well and truely bitten by the "buying kit" bug. £1000 on a carbon bike has been my biggest spend so far although I am cycling to work on it so it get used a lot (unlike the HRM, GPS, too tight one piece tri suit, etc which will all be making an appearance on Ebay soon!).