Home Chat General Chat

From Sprint to almonst OD...

hey guys...before I even ask whether I should do this race...i know the answer

I've only done 2 sprints this year and am doing the London supersprint (booked this at the beginning of the year before deciding to do sprints)....I've looked at a race on Oz when I'm visiting my folks and am thinking about taking it on...it's 1k swim (sea), 33k bike, 7k run.... i'm sure you are already all going to say DO IT...and I plan to..me thinks????

but...do you think I should just start training for a OD race using an OD training plan? do you think I have enough time (race is late Oct)? any other suggestions/advice would be greatly received....

Cxo

Comments

• mkamka Posts: 26
    Definitely go for it! Can’t advise on the training side of things as my training tends to be a bit random but stepping up from a sprint to an almost OD isn’t a huge leap.. so again – Go for it!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    DO IT!!!!! You have plenty of time to build up your the distance. You can easily do the distances, you know you can, and besides October is ages away...

On another note, is the race in Brisbane? when is it? I'm going to be in Aus at the end of Oct start of Nov and getting an event in whilst i'm there would be great. I've got a few days up that way on the agenda anyway
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    a race.. in oz... that just happens to be a great mid-step to od... warm sea swim... family to cheer you on... medals probably handed out by bronzed adonises (adoni? adonis' ?).. i'm sure there is free beer...

you knew the answer to this before you even posted it!
  • Of course do it! You already have a good base fitness to work from, more than can be said from me who signed up for the london od in mid-april with no fitness at all! Sounds like a fab time with family/friends. In fact you've inspired me to look for one in my neck of the woods in America when I visit in September, would love to compete with family around!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Of course you should do it Brizzi. What an opportunity to do a tri in the country that seems to be making tri yet another one of it's national sports - at least in terms of numbers of participants. Brits are still best at it, natch.

So, to answer your question - thinking about your training for your 'nearly OD' race... it kind of depends what you want to get out of it and how you are training at the moment.

If you are currently training so that a sprint event is still a bit of a distance goal then you'll need to up the numbers for your OZ event.

If you are currently training a bit over the sprint distances, then upping the speed occasionally and going for it on race day, then you'll definitely complete your Oz race.

If you are following a proper sprint training plan, you'll hammer your Oz race for a mid-placed time.

The main thing to remember is that for Oz you'll be putting yourself under pressure for maybe 2.5-3 hours (sorry, I'm guessing at what your speed is like at the moment) so your body needs to be ready-ish for that. If you can manage a 2hr bike ride without needing to take the day off afterwards, or a 90min run, or a 1hr swim session then you're probably across the finish line already.

More info please, Brizzi!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Let me see, OW swim in a former slag heap now water park in slashing rain, bike in slashing rain run in slashing rain or swim in warm blue sea, bike and run in Oz sunshine? Mmmmm

Do you have to ask that question -of course you should bloody well do it!!!!!!

And tell us all who are V jealous about it

Good luck!
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    Do it!! It'll be wonderful!

There won't be any sharks though will there?????
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Shark-infested waters will mean a much faster swim tho..
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    I imagine if you're training well already for sprints, then the extra distance won't be that much of a problem on the day, with all the surroundings etc. Plus, you've plenty of time to get a few longer bike and run sessions in before then. don't ever worry about it!
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    yeh knew you'd all say that...sharks and nicely bronzed men will definitely make me work harder

bopomofo: i don't have a proper sprint plan but i could easily do a 2 hour bike...not sure about the 90 min run (could do it I think but it would be slow - can do a 10k now) and I could swim for an hour (haven't tried it but am sure I could - not too fast mind you)... I've only done a couple of sprints this year and get around 1:30 mark... I was thinking of trying to use the 220 OD plan but won't have the required time to complete that...so maybe modifying it a bit...happy to put in the work....gotta do well in front of the fam/friends !

Any further help would be great!