Home Chat General Chat

Recovery drinks/food?

[toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
Lots of threads about pre/during race nutrition, but what about post?

What do you use? When do you use it?

Comments

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    A nice big cup of tea.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i like milkshakes, either home made or from a bottle. not hugely keen on milk by itself (i like something to mask the taste) but will scarf it down if nothing else is to hand. i try to get it down within half an hour of training/race but if only if i feel like i've done enough to deserve it - no effort no shake.
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    Jesster wrote:
    A nice big cup of tea.
    I like you're thinking.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    forgot to add - i'm still waiting for the vitally important research that proves beer is as good for the recovering body as milk or rego/high 5/etc.

science has let us all down there - i'd even accept wine at a push.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Ris has a good point. Apparently, milk on its own has all the vitamins and minerals in the right ratios for recovery after training. plus a hit of protein too
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    I thought the problem with milk was that it is a slow release protein? Something like Whey protein is much faster and more easily abosrbed? I could be wrong though...
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    When? In the "magic" 20 minutes post exercise when the body is apparently most receptive to uptake of nutrients.

What? To date I have tried both simple (milk + banana) to more sophisticated (SIS Rego - banana is palatable, strawberry is rank) but most of the time I have a For Goodness Shakes in the fridge: nice and simple - remove from fridge, shake, open & chug.

As for which of the above options works best, I can't say but I do try and have one of them after a hard session.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    milk and a banana is all you need, for goodness shakes are nice but they are a complete waste of money they are just well marketed milkshakes plain and simple!
    Skimmed milk and a banana will do the job for half the price and without the E numbers.

Your along the right lines with the digestion side of things mate, milk contains whey and casein protein. Whey protein is absorbed faster and casein due to its relative insolubility is absorbed slower. Milk has approx 80% casein 20% whey, and this happens to be the perfect amount!
    The 20% whey gives an initial 'protein hit' and the casein provides a long slow release into the blood so supporting protein synthesis for hours.
    I have yet to find a study that supports have just whey protein with water following a workout, I have a billion which state that milk with a bit of extra carbs is the perfect recovery drink.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    ris wrote:
    forgot to add - i'm still waiting for the vitally important research that proves beer is as good for the recovering body as milk or rego/high 5/etc.

science has let us all down there - i'd even accept wine at a push.
    Well, the low alcohol version of Erdinger is marketed as an "iso tonic sports recovery drink". From http://www.erdinger.com:

"With its isotonic effect, ERDINGER Non-Alcoholic is particularly well suited to regenerating the body after sport, as it quickly replaces the liquids and minerals the body has lost. In order to popularize the positive properties of its sporting thirst-quencher, ERDINGER Weissbräu launched a cooperation with professional triathlon couple Nicole and Lothar Leder in 2001. The two athletes were convinced of the regenerative effects of ERDINGER Non-Alcoholic and still actively promote the alcohol-free weissbier today."
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I like the idea of the erdinger, but i think that there was something on runnersworld that said one beer after oculd be good as you have lots of carbs in there.

Personally i have a forgoodness shakes, a glass of milk and like Jess, a nice cup of tea with a sugar (which i don't normally have) then i have something to eat within about an hour or 90mins...or i just go back out and train more!
  • IronABSIronABS Posts: 66
    I've been using Recovery XS from myprotein.co.uk - it works well and the taste is not so bad. If you're going for taste go for SIS Rego, but that didnt work fast enough for me...One point though stay away from Torq especially the Choc Orange flavour...the first time i tasted it was after an OW swim in Salford Quays and i put the taste down to swallowing to much Quay water, but no it really tasted that bad!!!
  • polyotterpolyotter Posts: 17
    you only need around 150g of carbohydrate in the 15mins after exercise to refuel the glycogen in your muscles for your next training session you can get this from a handful of jellybeans or a fruit smoothie or 3 x museli bars and many other interesting ways. Although the one I like best and proven in the journal medicine in sports and exercise science is the mars chocolate milkshalk (refuel).
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    FOR GOODNESS SHAKES ALL THE WAY!!!!

I have 25% discount codes for anyone if they want to buy some:)
    have you checked the calorie in take, have you really burnt that many calories in your session?!?!?!
  • maltesermalteser Posts: 25
    I use the Lucozade recovery powder (mixed with water) ... the 'Tropical Fruit' flavour is nothing to write home about ... I must be honest ... no idea whether its having a particular effect or not ... how can you tell?
  • I've used the SIS one but can hardly stomach it. Reminded me too much of the protein shakes I used to drink a lot in a former life when I was actually fit and too thin....those were the days. I prefer to drink chocolate milk now to be honest. Am curious though like malteser as to how you know these are having any effect?
    How do you know they are working? - simple how hard can you train next day? If you feel tired or aren't able to train as hard the next day you haven't replaced the glycogen you used. Glycogen is the fuel your muscles use to create energy. The pain we all feel in our muscles is DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) this is the micro tears we create in our muscles when exercising, which when they repair make us stronger. Totally different from the tiredness/ lack of energy you may feel from not replacing your glycogen stores.
    Hope this helps.
    I always like to over-consume on the calories side of things after a workout, with good stuff of course as I have mentioned about milk and banana! I personally think aiming for 150g of carbs is a tad excessive, I aim for 100 which is normally what you get from a pint of milk (about 50g carbs) + banana.
    + normally 15-20g of protein which is what you get from a pint of milk.

I have this immediately then often follow it up with a proper meal within the hour.
    As I said I always think its best to consume a good amount of calories after a workout, within reason, I dont think you should ever be calorie counting at this point. Remember that you are not just replacing calories burnt off in the workout but you are supporting muscle repair etc. following the workout. Also intense workouts increase metabolism so burning more calories. The time to start thinking about calories is not after a workout but more in the evening etc. and the meals you are consuming etc. Don't let going into a calorie deficit post workout ruin your good work!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I am a huge fan if COW power.

I always have a milkshake with 2 bananas mashed or smoothied up in it. 1/2 a pint of semi-skimmed and 2 banana#s. MMMMMMM lovely. Works as well.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Alcoho free beer? What is the point?
    I guess its for all those decaff coffee drinkers out there.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I repeat the quastion...decaff coffee waht is the point?
  • full bottle of gold top jersey milk!!!

Its the recovery drink of nature...and cows...
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    You have a "window of opportunity" after training, of 60-90 minutes, where nutrient uptake is vastly increased. This applies to all nutrients. Many, many scientific studies have shown that taking protein and carbs within this window improves recovery immensly.

Look at the research For Goodness Shakes quotes - a 40% improvement! That's fairly consistent with most studies.

You can also absorb more during that window (carbs and protein), however how much is detemined by body size as well as severity of training.

I use a good quality whey protein, glucose drink and a multi-vitamin. Whey protein is one of the fastest absorbed, and therefore gets to the recovery process quickest, that's also why I use glucose, rather than a mix of sugars.

There is some evidence in research that a blend of proteins, and sugars works best, so you get quick and sustained absorbtion. However I stick with what I reckon is a good effective to cost ratio.
  • I had a moment last night after big (slightly too big) training session (for me), cycled in to work, gym weights at lunch, then did a 10k run after work at raised tempo then straight onto the bike for the 15min cycle home which used the very last of my energy. i got back and got straight into the shower, then found i was struggling to stand .. i went quite cold but was sweating like anything and kind of panting .. had the shakes all over too. I staggered to my energy stockpile and reached straight for the SIS Gel pack that i got free a while back and gulped it down like my life depended on it, then drank half pint of water and ate the remainder of my Soreen loaf. 10mins of shaking and sweating on the sofa and i felt ok again and cooked a proper meal.
    This morning I had a Powerbar chocolate recovery shake as it was sitting at work, and have just had a good veg lasagne lunch .. got a 60k ride with a colleague tonight so hopefully will be able to keep up. If i start falling behind I'll start shouting about the big workout i did yesterday ..
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Was the Soreen that did it.

Echo what others are saying here - high quality protein to aid muscle recovery and carbs to replenish your glycogen stores. Nature came up with a superb solution in the form of cows milk - the above plus vitamins, minerals (inc. important calcium). Simples.