Home Chat General Chat

shoulder and wrist ache

md6md6 Posts: 969
I went swimming last night and was about 800/900m into the 1,500m when my wrist started to ache, and so did my hand - I thought that it was just a bit of cramp and thought nothing of it. but then after about 1,300m my shoulder joined in aching - again i thought that it was just tiredness. However all day both my wrist andsholder (and less - my hand) have been aching. Just commuted home and now i'm in a bit of pain. Any ideas what it could be and or how to fix it?

I'm hoping i don't need to go to the physio as I don't have health insurance anymore...

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    is it only the one shoulder that hurts? is it the same one as the wrist? have you changed stroke at all recently? werer you tense in the hands/arm at all before?
  • too much tommy tanking there?

Maybe take a few days off and see if it goes away? My right hip was like that after a few judo impacts, i rested up now its fine.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Ris, yes it is the same shoulder and wrist that hurts and only the one (right arm). I don't think i've changed my stroke much lately, although i have been tring to make sure my elbows stay high during the catch and pull phase - although i didn't notice much difference. My hand/arm weren't noticably tense before either.

coma, no that's not the cause - i wish it was that simple.

seems a lot better today, so maybe it was just overuse i'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Sounds like what Ive got in my left shoulder. Shoulders are prone to injury esp the rotator cuffs so you could have a mild impingement of some sort. Its commonly called swimmers shoulder, due to too much pressure on the supporting (weaker) muscles of the shoulder like rotator cuffs. An aggressive high elbow pull will definitely put more tension on the area. I found a combo of high elbo and increased intensity caused my pain and the general weakness in the shoulder and arm.

So as far as rehab goes, its all about strenghtening and stretching the area. I find using a thera band for internal and external rotation is good or lying on the edge of the bed with a 1kg dumbell works too. Otherwise loads of shoulder and upper back-specifc stretches will help. But the pysio should pinpont what the issue is and how best to treat. Im saying this cos I had a similar problem a few years ago from the gym, and its a slow process to get rid of the pain and weakness, together with a few kgs of ibuprofen over a few months. But working on it a few times every day will get rid of it.

I'd keep on swimming, but as Ive noticed, the weakness and pain might change your stroke on that arm. Ive had to swim with a straighter arm pull on that side, which has slowed me down, but its necessary to prevent aggravating the problem. Basically, avoid the movement that makes it sore. A stretch of it is good, but not past that point.

Hope this helps a bit.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Cheers Bman, that all makes sense, I think i will rest it and look up some rotator cuff strengthening exercises/stretches to start doing.