Home Chat General Chat

Weird question of the week

Hello everyone after doing a long ride last week (123 miles) I had a real problem eating proper food. The roof of my mouth was really painful and felt tight. I thought it was dehydration, but I kept myself really topped up with High 5 and water.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    That IS weird. Sorry, can't help but I'm intrigued by this and thought a bump up to top of page might attract the attention of somebody who know what they're talking about nutrition-wise.

Of course, Galactic President Conehead knows the answer, but he's retreated to his secret island now with a bunch of his disciples and doesn't come here anymore.

Maybe you could impose on Britspin and PM him?
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I hear my name called across the ether...oh yes weird. I would not have thought this was a de hydration function...but who knows.
    I would think it more likely something you ate that either irritated your mouth, or scratched it or otherwise made it tender...hot drink maybe? Tried something new that may provoke an allergic type reaction? Gels stuck to the roof of your mouth if not washed away with fluids maybe acidic? The acidic thing may be clue...lots of the flavourings may be acidic add in the potential corrosive effect of sweeteners/sugars & bingo...sore roof of mouth. I will go & think some more...
  • timtim Posts: 43
    I get this (or something similar), finish a long cycle session (over 3hrs) and i find i struggle to swallow food without pain, like you i keep hydrated with no effect, i have put it down to the mouth drying out, water/lucozade is none mucasy, and breathing hard for a long period of time must dry the mouth out somewhat. Then when you eat, the food is eased down an unlubricated throat scraping and thus causing discomfort. feel free to contradict.. this is just an uneducated opinion.

Tim
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Breathing through you mouth on a warm day for X hours - might just have got a bit dry and sore without you realising it.

Did you swallow a biting insect? You would probably have noticed a wasp.. but something that just gave a good old nip....
  • nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    Ok it's not a sore feeling more like the feeling you get when you have a sore throat, just reall hard to swallow. I'm able to eat gels etc on the ride it's just when I stop and start eating proper food again.

Maybe I'm just weird????