Home Chat General Chat

Garmin 305 - on bike

Thinking of getting the Garmin Forerunner 305.

Anyone know how well it works with cycling? as was thinking of getting the bike bit....

Seems good for a running training parter - can this be said for a cycling gadget at well?

Cheers,

Will.

Comments

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Excellent on the bike. Once you have all the kit you can use it indoors and outdoors. I use mine for everthing...
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Agreed, mine arrived the day I was told I couldn't run for 3 months, I was gutted cos that is what I got it for! Thought, oh I'll use it on the bike and have never looked back, I use it more on the bike than I do running, its fantastic!
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    damn you all - now i'm def going to have to get one

The WAT is getting out of hand!!
  • clv101clv101 Posts: 45
    I use my 305 on the bike, it works really well. I have the screen set up to show Time, Speed, Distance and Heart Rate. Also every mile it records as a lap, beeps and flashes up the time. The challenge is to get the 'laps' done in under 3min, over 20mph.
  • ijwoo1ijwoo1 Posts: 3
    I've been using one for running and bike for over a year now. It is a great piece of kit which I use almost daily.

It is sufficient to follow routes by that are pre-planned on the PC and downloaded to the 305, something I was sceptical about. I also have the foot pod and speed/cadence sensor. You'll likely find the bike mount and velcro strap are a necessity.

If I'm being really picky:
    - Its bulky
    - Pace readout is erratic, even with max smooting - better off viewing speed which seems better for some reason.
    - Training Centre software could be better - there are alternatives but still flawed in some aspect IMHO
    - Some display text is hard to read when you are running or cycling.
    - And of course it is not waterproof enough for swimming - aside from the drag it would create!