Home Chat General Chat

Starting to panic, too much too soon maybe!

I did my 1st Sprint Tri in may (pool based) since then i have been training for another sprint pool based tri which is in just over a week. However yesterday i in a moment of madness i signed up to do the Dextro energy Triathlon in London, not the sprint distance bit the oly distance!!!! Im now thinking this was a bit hasty, i can swim my time is approx 26 mins for 1500, my bike time is approx 45 mins for 20 k & running time for 10 k is about 1 hour.I train 5 times a week for about 45-90 mins per session. Open water swimming is the only thing i havent done yet (except in the sea when i was on holiday!!!!)
I know its probably a stupid question but do you think its too soon to do an oly distance bearing in mind its only just over 4 weeks away!!!!!
Any advice will be much appreciated!!!

Comments

• cammykcammyk Posts: 36
    You'll be fine. You are just getting the fear. The step up isn't huge and you have already shown yourself to be able to do the distances. Relax.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Well done nessyt. I thought I was the only idiot, but you're following in my footsteps. In early June did my 3rd Sprint race, had a go at an OW Aquathlon on a Thursday evening, then quickly entered an OD OW event on the Satruday. Having not traained at the longer distance, my aim was to finish it, which I did. Now, in another moment of madness I'm attempting a 1/2 IM in late August, again without really training at the distance, but I'll be attempting to finish as the main goal.

So, yeah, give it a go, but be sensible, don;t worry too much about posting a great time, look to finish it. Good times can come next season, but when you do finish, you'll feel bloody marvellous.

And let us know how you got on.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Get some OW swimming in and you'll be fine.

I did my first OD in June. Your swim time kicks my arse, your bike and run are not that far off mine and you train more than me
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    You'll be fine. Just make sure you don't go out too hard on the bike. It's double the distance and if you hammer it your legs will really let you know about it on the run. I speak from painful recent experience of my 1st Oly distance this year.