Home Chat General Chat

MP3 when racing??

MGMG Posts: 470
It came to my attention today that at Quelle Challenge Roth (an Ironman distance triathlon) you are allowed to use MP3 and listen to music whilst you are racing. A refreshing stance I think. Alot of people train with music, 220 even ran a poll a little while back.

So my question to the 220 massif is....................How many of you would race with MP3 if given the choice?

I for one probably would!!

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Not me. Can't stand it. I've seen all the research that suggests that it is a good thing for certain types of exercise. But it just annoys me. I hate having things in my ears. I think it would be more dangerous than not, even for running.
  • I tried my new waterproof MP3 player this morning in the lake... yea....

Interesting enough I always train with music and I'd thought I'd struggle when I had to compete without.. I seem to manage well enough though..

I think I'd definetly use music on the run.. probably for the cycle too...

Scotty
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    W would you want to? Particularly at somewhere like Roth where there is said to be brilliant support? It always confuses me why people do that in races as I personally don't see the point, you miss the atmosphere the support and banter from other racers. In running races there are more and more which are banning MP3 players and i think some of it is for safety reasons, a lot of people hae them up so loud that they couldn't hear marshalls instructions. Also on another note, in my experience most (not all) people who race with MP3's are so self absorbed and inconsiderate that the sight of a pair of headphones make s me want to punch them. On a serious note, I have had people in headphones veer across in front of me as they had just noticed their friends cheering them - i'd heard and spotted them about 10m before hand, but because of the mp3 they didn't then saw them and dived across the road without looking, ran into me. We both ended on the floor and I sprained my wrist, cut both hands, elbow and injured my knee - he ended up with a broken nose... (i was on for a PB until then)

I guess what i'm saying is that because the MP3 isolates someone from the real world and their surroundings which can make them dangerous to themself and others - but maybe i am biased because of my experience.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Don't think that even duracell batteries would last for the time it would take me.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    no music for me in training or racing - i can't stand being disconnected from my surroundings that much while running or riding. the few times i have run with music i found my pace dictated by the beat which was very disconcerting.

i do wonder how sensible riding with music is, i tend to want all my senses working in my favour on the bike with traffic, road conditions etc. at the end of the day it's personal choice and unless someone on a bike takes me out because they are wired up then it's thier risk to take.

oddly though, i'm normally listening to something at work most of the time so i'm just a big hypocrite!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I'll repeat my opinion from last time we discussed this:

Ear-plugs (which is effectively what your ear-phones are) while running? Fine IF you're not crossing roads or other hazards. Great off road.

Ear-plugs while cycling. Fine IF you want to be an organ donor. Even on a closed circuit its damned inconsiderate to your fellow competitors: You know, they guy you knock off because you run wide without realising he was overtaking.

I tend to use all my senses while placing myself and others in danger, particularly hearing and sight. Can we have a discussion now about "Who runs/cycles with their eyes shut"?

Leave the iPod on the turbo trainer.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Interesting.........now just in name of science, I'll play devis advocate........
    Bopomofo wrote:
    Ear-plugs while cycling. Fine IF you want to be an organ donor.
    WHY??? What are you gona do if you hear a lorry behind you? Get into the kerb even more and risk hitting it and falling off? No (I would hope). If you hear a car behind are you going to alter your trajectory? I doubt it cos youre not cycling in the middle of the road... When the wind is directly in your face you cant hear the traffic behind, if your that bothered with whats behind you, fit wing mirrors??

Not a wind up, just a few points of veiw thats all

I have absolutely NO BEEF whatsoeva with people who choose not to listen to music/podcasts when training but its strange that one company (quelle challenge) allow it and ITU bans it.

By the way, no one was injured through MP3 use at roth.....................
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    I use my I-pod in nearly all my training sessions but not too sure about using it whilst racing....

Obviously there is the safety thing..... then there is the extra faffing around in Transition to get hooked up etc... plus I would doubt an MP3 players battery would last 10-12 or maybe more hours it takes some people to do the bike/run part of an IM... I-pod maybe...

You miss out on the atmosphere and there is no substitute for the boost you get when you can hear someone cheering you on.

Instead of an MP3 player how about a 'team' radio??

If you are in with a chance of winning an event etc, could you get away with wearing a small radio and have your mates/WAT officer/coach etc radioing through tactical instructions?? Ie how far ahead the leader is, what pace you need run/cycle at to catch others??
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Team Radio.....NO NO NO.
    Individual race,no outside assistance,keep the sport pure.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    MG wrote:
    By the way, no one was injured through MP3 use at roth.....................
    To join in with the devils advocate... How do you know that? And how many near misses were there as a result? how many people were inconvenienced/blocked off etc by MP3 wearers? There's not just the risk of injury it is the additional dodging/swerving/brakeing because they can't hear you ask for space/tell them you're passing and the move into your path. I am quite opinionated on this as i have experienced repeatedly how inconsiderate some people wearing MP3's can be.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    I wouldnt ever use a team radio, but my point was if you allow MP3 players in events then whats stopping people doing this if they are this way inclined?

I think racing should be kept 'clean' ie no mp3s etc...
    and keep the use of said equipment for training
  • msqdenmsqden Posts: 18
    oh yes! please!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    MG wrote:
    ...science.....What are you gona do if you hear a lorry behind you?
    The safety aspects aren't primarily about volume. It's about what your brain is doing to process all the inputs it receives. In the same way that using your mobile phone is bad when driving - not because you can't hear the lorry - but because your brain spends most of its time filtering out things that it doesn't need. So the lorry just disappears.

Listening to a track that you've heard many times before doesn't require as much concentration as a phone call with your Aunty Irene... but still, your brain is still wasting time on working out whether Step's version of Tragedy is better than S Club's Reach for the Stars at getting your cadence up, so that reacting to that car pulling out of the side street in front of you, might just be a tad slower than otherwise.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    md6 wrote:
    [ And how many near misses were there as a result? how many people were inconvenienced/blocked off etc by MP3 wearers?
    Plenty, I'm sure!!

How many people without MP3 got in my way and inconvenienced me on my last tri? plenty...

Anyhoo, it aint gonna happen over here cos of "elf n sayfteee guv" so it was a hypothetical point really. Personally I think some races it could be a bit dodgy, and some a blessing (anyone raced at Dorney???? zzzzzzz) but on some long distance races I would quite like the option to have MP3.

Seems like a bit of a Marmite kinda thing, love it or hate it.........
  • sportevesporteve Posts: 141
    i wouldn't consider for the cycling part but definitely for the running
    having run a marathon with my ipod with me, i would remove the earphones when there were people and support around - it is always great to soak in the encouragement of the crowd and the atmosphere - but at those long and lonely stretches where all i could hear would be my breathing and my footsteps and were no people around, having some kick ass tunes was the best push i could get to keep me going...! a good motivational tune coming in the right moment can work miracles..
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Just thought i'd throw this into the mix:

Chrissie Wellington's race prep consists of (in part) riding the bike course with an MP3 player in one ear. She reckons it helps her when racing because she remembers what song was playing at certain points. If it's good enough for Chrissie...