Home Chat General Chat

Wheel advice anybody?

Hi all - I'm pretty new to this Tri stuff but have really bitten the bug!
I've got the option to upgrade my stock wheels but cant decide on either...

Some Mavic Carbones to give me some more speed in the TT

or

Some all round lighter wheels that I can take on longer days out but also help with my TT.

My call really I know but.... I've heard people state you need to be clocking 25mph to get the value out of 40-50mm TT wheels - well I only average 20mph so would they really make any odds to my riding?

Thanks in advance for any useful advice!

dc.

Comments

• MGMG Posts: 470
    Nah, the 25mph+ is for a disk wheel. Id go for the cosmics personally.

Ive got 50mm deep rims on my bike and they are absoltely universal, a good wheel for all courses. Theres definately an advantage on the flat/rolling and they will be light enough to get up climbs. Also they wont be disturbed by cross winds.

Have you had a look at HED wheels too, there are some fantastic offers to be had at hte moment........

For most triathlons having a slightly heavier wheel is not toooo much of a prob cos most courses are rolling, however, courses like Norseman and Hellvelen are berrrluddy hilly and a lighter wheelset would benefit.

That said I'd still go for the Mavics.................
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    To slightly derail the thread - but on a very related topic... I am looking for some new wheels myself. The two early contenders are Campag Zonda wheels:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Campagnolo_Zonda_Clincher_Wheel_Set/5360030560/

and Easton EA90:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Easton_EA90_Aero_Wheel_Set/5360036593/

So for this sort of price range, what does everyone think...

Or are the Hed ones in this price range better than these options?
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    I spent ages huming and haing about mavics/heds/zipps and ended up buying SRAM60s - amazing wheels spin up really nicely, paired with ultremo Rs really comfy....

I have some bonty race lites too but the SRAMs are the weapon of choice for racing as the add a few kph from almost no speed and at high speeds just pull you along....whatever brand you go for go deep!!
    the srams look good, but a little more pricy than i was planning on...the GAT officer may well be persuaded if i'm lucky
    Oh I'm going to get myself into further GAt trouble here as i just started looking at the fast forward wheels too...i must not spend too much on wheels. I still owe her a weekend away from the bike...

But those shimano wheels look good too
    Whats your topend price bracket MD6?
    it depends MG, I was thinking between £300-£400, but I could probably strech that up to maybe £750 or £800 if i find something that's going to be much better for the difference. Is there much difference between those price ranges? Or rather, is there enough of a difference that it's going to be noticable for someone like me?
  • If you're gonna stretch to that much money md6 then how about these?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=30825

Nice eh? I will if you will!
    Absolutely it will make a difference!! Thats a fairly tasty budgetand no doubt you can find a sound set for that!!

I use Planet X wheels, and my next set will be PX too. They are light and affordable. I use the PX pro carbon 50, think they set me back £500 IIRC. I have been using these for about 2 n half years and they are brilliantly versatile and seeming indestructable (after punturing I rode 18km on the rim in Zurich 70.3). I was trying to find a link for HED but couldnt, a friend has got the Jet 50 wheelset and he loves them, not sure how much they are but Iknow they are within your topend budget. Also dont discount Ebay, their are some absolute gems on there if you choose carefully!!!
    thanks for the advice guys (and sorry for hijacking the thread), I will def have a look at planet X too, so many to choose from...
  • Curly68Curly68 Posts: 21
    What about Reynolds wheels? I can get them at just above trade price. PM me if you wish and I can give you a price.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    American Classic 420 Aero?

http://www.eurobike.uk.com/details.aspx?p=124

Light and aero?

G
  • DanteDante Posts: 22
    PM sent to you Curly - reference the Reynolds!

Cheers,

Dan
  • thebouythebouy Posts: 61
    Sorry to also hijack this thread, but I've got a bit of a newbie question. Are there any compatibility issues to consider when upgrading wheels? Or do they just have to be round?
  • DanteDante Posts: 22
    Hello thebuoy,

You need to consider a couple of things:-

Tubular or Clincher? - This refers to the type of tyre the rim can take - (Tubular=lower rolling resistance and puncture resitance, no innertube, glued to rim & comparitively difficult to change) (Clincher=traditional tyre type - opposite of the above!)

Hub (Shimano / Campagnolo / SRAM etc) - needs to be compatible with your groupset.

Cheers,

Dan
  • thebouythebouy Posts: 61
    Thanks for the advice Dan,
    In which case there's only 1 type of wheel for me...Clincher!
    And handily Wiggle seem to give compatibility advice on most of their wheels!

Cheers
    Mike