Home Chat General Chat

I'm doing IMUK in 2 weeks and I should of done more.....

Hello everyone, I'm doing the IMUK in two weeks and I think I should of done a bit more running, but it's two late now!!!!! There's just not enough time in the week with a job, family etc. Please fill in your own I should of done more .... to make me feel better.

Comments

• Ive done almost nothing over the last few weeks because I've had to contend with finishing up one job, moving to a different city and starting up another job.

So at the moment for me it has to be "should have done more trainig"!! currently I' consoling myself with the fact that I'm fitter and stronger than I've ever been and that the past 8 months training will carry me through!

My biggest worry is the run. Since march Ive been battling with ankle and knee injuries, eveytime one thing mends another breaks. This means that almost all of my run training has been gym based. I'm just going to have to limp around as best I can.

ood luck!
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    What will be will be my friend, everyone gets the last minute 'have i done enough? am i ready?'

you have done the training, on the day you'll be just fine. relax and enjoy it!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    it's soooo long, you'll be fit by the time you get to the end.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    The questions are:
    Can I swim 3.8km?
    Can I cycle for 180kms?
    Can I run/jog/walk for 42Kms?

Answer, yes - time not important nor is recovery in T1 & T2, if needed have a sit down, drink a little , have treat to eat. Take as much time as you need.

You are showing your mettle by entering, by finishing regardless of time you are an Ironman and you will finish.

Good luck
  • heymonkeyheymonkey Posts: 45
    To make you feel better, I got a knee injury 8 weeks before IM France and couldn't cycle or run at all. All I could do was swim, which due to work, I didn't do too much of either. I was cleared by the doc 3 days before the race (well cleared for gentle execise anyway!!)

My time wasn't pretty, but I finished comfortably, all down to the training I'd put in during the previous 5 months, and the fact that I paced myself based on the amount of training I had done, not the time that I was originally aiming for.

Enjoy!
  • nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    Cheers everyone glad I'm not on my own, I was talking about this with my brother this morning (he's doing it wit me) when he asked me how he thought my training has gone. I said that I thought it was ok, my swimming has improved from being able to do 50 meters to being able to do 4k. Cycling has always been ok. And if I think about it my running ha always been the strongest element, so it makes sense that I would of done the least on that.

I'm also really excited and can't wait just got to survive the next really busy two weeks in work and we're there.

Thanks again everyone I really appreciate all your help, support and advice over the past few months.
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    you make it sound like you're not coming back enjoy IMUK and we all look forward to the race report!
    Don't you worry I'll be back, I'm already planning the next one. Race report maybe a couple of days late though as I'm staying up there until Tuesday and the only thing I'll be fit for is a few beers some sleeping and loads of food.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    I'm sure you'll be fine! Pace yourself sensibly and everything will work out. There will be at least 2000 others in the water with you thinking EXACTLY the same!!

Have a nutrition plan and work with it, if you find its not going to plan, RELAX....get some fluid/solids inside and work through it. At this stage theres nothing youre gonna do in the way of improving your fitness so what will be will be.

Im sure in two weeks time we will have an epic race report to read, good luck my friend..........
  • Hi mate
    I'm pretty much the same as you, alternating between panic and excitement. Can't wait to get going though.
    Just remember all we have to do is make it to he next aid station and before you know it we'll be there.
    (And if we're lucky we'll get some nice British summer rain)
    By the sound of it we'll all be crawling over the line together!!!! I went out today and it was traditional British weather rain rain rain and then some more rain. I've looked on the bbc weather monthly forecast and it says it's going to get warmer, hopefully not too warm.
  • Thanks all,

Knee still dickie but had my final long cycle and long swim this weekend. Both went well so I'm riding on the wave of excitement at the moment!

Good luck!