Home Chat General Chat

City of Bath Olympic Race Report

[toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
Error whilst Doing a Replacement, Error in srv_convert.

Comments

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Wow, well done! my mate did Bath last year and he said it was pretty tough....

Great time too, especially loved the pink box. Must get me one of those!!
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    Good effort on those hills- I did the Sprint course last year and yep it certainly is a little lumpy!!!

You have to give the Wimbleball race a go now....real hills!!
    I.
  • clv101clv101 Posts: 45
    Nice one [toPh], I did the Sprint today too. Also my first tri but what I fantastic experience! Organisation and marshalling was top notch. Very pleased with my 1hr 39min 25sec time. The bike was just crazy over the hills, in the rain!
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Not bad at all!! And with London in two weeks you have a good bit of time to sharpen your tools and hit the ground running!! London is flat and fast, might be on for a PB there.............
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    loved the race report!

It really helps us folk that haven't raced for a while. And it sounds like you had a great race, well done!

You should feel very proud, you'd do well to remember that its not everyone that can do what you did today.....you worked hard in training and it paid off today....mucho respecto!

G
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    nice report [toPh], that bike course is mighty tough. the splits are up on the race timing website, your t1 is beyond impressive!

i got round in 2:39:47, which i'm really pleased with given how hilly the bike section is, and the run isn't flat either! i was in a later wave than [toPh] and was caught in the heavy rain, particularly on the bike, but the end of the run was grim as well.

i was lucky with my transition spot and could see the bike clearly from the pool exit. there was some nice chat with those racking up, most of the entrants seemed really friendly and a lot had done the event before. i learned from my first, sodden, od back in june and set up my bike shoes and socks in a plastic bag and left my runners and some dry gear in my box.

my swim was a bit of a nightmare, my reliably non-leaky goggles (speedo speedsockets) decided that it was the day to play up and at the end of each of the first 4 laps i was stopping, taking them off, tightening, swearing and refitting. i must have lost about 2-3mins with all that but it also wound me up a bit so i was giving it a bit when i got going. i'll be getting new goggles now!

smooth-ish transition and into the wind and rain on the bike. i had a good ding-dong with a focus rider but didn't finish him off until after the first hill. adding to my frustration was a bus that overtook me on the first downhill and then slowed down to under 30 and i was looking to make the most of the drop. utter muppet.

once out of radstock i got stuck into chasing down a chap on a nice trek in the distance, nearly catching him when a mrs-brady-old-lady pulled out on me. i was doing 27-28 and they were at 25. really inconsiderate and i almost went to overtake but they turned off after a couple of miles.

i finally caught trek man on the drop to midford and he promptly buried me on the sharp hill back up. t2 was good and quick, and then out onto the run.

by the time i got to the course the run was a quagmire in some places so there was a bit of slipping and sliding. i really liked the way the course was arranged into lots of short sections, mentally i find that easy to work with. once the first lap was out of the way i was feeling good and started building the pace and finished fairly strongly. it would have been nice to cross the line with cheering crowds but the weather had turned in again and i came round with gusts of wind and rain in my face.

the post-race complimenary leg massage was a stroke of much appreciated genius, and given the weather conditions the marshalls cheering you on was much appreciated. they had a hard job but all seemed cheery. if i can muster the energy next year i'll do it again and hope the weather stays good.

splits - swim 30:27, t1 1:35, bike 1:20:29, t2 0:54, run 46:20.
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    My official race report of Bath Sprint triathlon is that it was a complete b******!
    short but sweet, juleso! i think we need the details as to what made it a total b*******-****_@~###.
    Nobody mentioned the hills! I've been trying to convince the other half, who didn't see the hills but did see my face at the end of the race, that they were really big hills, honest.....

I'd have got off my bike to push it if a) I'd seen a single other person being such a wuss as that, and b) I thought I'd be able to get back on!

Also how hard was it to get out of the pool?! Ladylike I wasn't! I was just glad to get out, full stop.

I found this one a lot harder than Blenheim which is odd really because I always thought that the latter was regarded as a pretty hard sprint event.
    In Bath, I suppose it's to help with people diving in, but they have about two feet between water level and level of floor above; and they don't have a ledge to grab onto. I flopped about like a dying fish and the other half said there was a man standing next to me, watching, with arms folded. I suppose he didn't want to help in case I pulled him in. Or in case he might get his delicate hand a bit wet.

Oh I am so complainy but really I suppose I should have regarded it as all good training. 'Feeling the training effect' is how Oranj put it when I whinged about how hard I'd found it! And MAN am I feeling that today!
    juleso is right - the bath pool is an olympic racing pool with a high start point and timing pads that extend a metre or so above the water level. the only lift you can get is off the foot rest groove which is 1.2m below the waterline or something. i think i landed on the start block like a feeble seal and sort of flopped onto the poolside! i wish i'd been in lanes 1 or 8 where the pool ladders are.

that hill up to peasedown is a real toughie and doesn't half go on some. well done for making it juleso, every competitor at bath deserves a polka-dot jersey for climbing those hills.
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    I think anyone who does a tri round Bath deserves free Soreen for a year . I never managed any of the hills while I was commuting to uni and although I did love the pool can quite see the problem with pulling yourself out - never even attempted that one.

Good job everyone, especially if the weather was doing that special Bath circular rain thing where it comes from every direction.....
  • good race reports all round .. bring on London !