Home Chat General Chat

Post Run pain

Generally whenever i've done more than 5miles running i get real pain in my achilles area. It definitely isn't the calf muscle, i have to bend at the knee to stretch it. If i run too soon after it gets to the point of feeling like it'll cramp up with every step.

What am i doing wrong here and any thoughts as to how i can stop this. Really makes training a pain!

Comments

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    A few thoughts...

To much too soon tends to be the cause of a lot of achillies problems are you increasing at 10%?

Go back to what you can manage without the pain and start again building slowly.

Ultrsound can shift achillies pain nicely.

Could also be that you are running to fast in training runs. Depending on the session you are doing.

Also doing the same session over and over with no varying can do it?

Are you runing a lot on tarmac?

Cambered roads?

Do you have a stretching routine?

Do you use compression wear?

How old are your shoes?

Do you overpronate etc.

Running is the fastest way to injury!

Not a physio but have made all the mistakes in the past!

G
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Beg to differ but if you have to bend your knee to stretch it could still be an achilles tendon injury, but thru the soleus (deep calf) not the gastronemius ( superficial calf)..not saying it is, but could be, other than that see above post for all the good stuff...ice it, stretch it, massage it..new shoes?
  • stratoTomstratoTom Posts: 36
    Someone I know has achilles problems, and he has to cut the heels of his shoes as this allows more flex and stops him getting pains in the achilles. Don't know if it's the same thing but worth a thought.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    See a Doctor and get to a physio! Thats my aetter! advice anyway! These things have a habit of not getting better!
  • WoolyWooly Posts: 63
    Could also be that you are running to fast in training runs. Depending on the session you are doing.

Also doing the same session over and over with no varying can do it?

Are you runing a lot on tarmac?

Cambered roads?

Do you have a stretching routine?

Do you use compression wear?

How old are your shoes?

Do you overpronate etc.
    ok so in order

[*]Tend to try to go faster each time but do seem to blow up at 4 miles (down from 650 min/mile to 740)
    [*]Always on the road as i use the run as part of my commute
    [*]Not really cambered as such but running on pavement so tends to go up and down a little more than side to side.
    [*]I don't stretch before the run as i found this aggrevated the problem more than helped it though i do stretch after the run
    [*]compression tights after every run help certainly but still have pain
    [*]18 months or so (say 200 miles)
    [*]checked at the marathon expo and i appear to be neutral in my right and superpronate in my left