Home Chat General Chat

problem with track pump

deeessdeeess Posts: 150
I have a track pump with holes for presta and schrader (spelling?) valves. Whilst i can get the pump to seal onto my presta tyre valve, as soon as I pump the air is forced out of the schrader hole rather than down the presta hole and into the tyre. any ideas or is it just kaput?

it was a cheapo version from SBR but i haven't used it that much and no apparent damage

Comments

• stratoTomstratoTom Posts: 36
    Is there a valve or similar to select between the two? I have a hand pump with both pumps and there's a collar that you have to twist to select the right one.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I was going to say the same, some track pumps have a little lever which is not too obvious. Try experimenting with that. Could you also say what the model is, someone may have ethe same pump and give the answer straight away.

If all else fails get a new pump, I was cynical until a mate let me have go of his and I immediately ordered one, a Joe Blow (the yellow one)
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Watching for pump recommendations with interest. My pressure gauge has stopped working after 3 years of use (just a Bike Hut one, which I bought 'cos it went up to 160psi!) after I used it mucking about with coke-bottle water-rockets with the kids. Think I may have slurped up some water and killed it.

Incidentally, if anybody wants to try it (using an old pump) the pressure rating of a 2lt plastic coke bottle is about 100psi, so I usually aim for a nice safe 40psi. With 1 litre of water this is enough to get you about 40metres altitude. Off-topic, but fun.

In the absence of any better rec for £40 I'd go and buy another one in a flash... but if there's anything else I should be looking for, then fire away!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    If anyone is intertested then Lidl#s are selling a track pump for $4.99 this thursday is the start and also cycle trousers/tights. (not sure of the price of the tights.trousers)
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Bopomofo wrote:
    Watching for pump recommendations with interest. My pressure gauge has stopped working after 3 years of use (just a Bike Hut one, which I bought 'cos it went up to 160psi!) after I used it mucking about with coke-bottle water-rockets with the kids. Think I may have slurped up some water and killed it.

Incidentally, if anybody wants to try it (using an old pump) the pressure rating of a 2lt plastic coke bottle is about 100psi, so I usually aim for a nice safe 40psi. With 1 litre of water this is enough to get you about 40metres altitude. Off-topic, but fun.

!
    For a better mess,try dropping a mentos sweet into a bottle of coke.
    For a bigger laugh,drop it in and quickly screw the lid on.