Home Chat General Chat

Clip in pedals shoes

Ok - plotting to spend some pennies when in London - sssshhhh don't tell HAT officer - and think my next step, before smuggling a new bike into the house, should be clip in pedals and shoes -
so thoughts on
best variety?
ease of clipping in and out? don't want to spend most of my time on my side still clipped in
what cleat type?
any thoughts on varieties that are clip in one side and other ok for normal shoes?

Comments

• MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    There's load of options available Moonshine (road shoes vs tri-specific, SPD cleats vs SPD-R, different pedals systems) and, as with a lot of things, it'll probably come down to personal preference.

So to kick things off... I use SPDs on an old pair of Specialized MTB shoes as well as my tri specific Shimano TR31s. Why? Well, when I bought my MTB shoes it was to use on the spinning bikes at the gym whihc have SPD compatible pedals. I then got compatible pedals for my MTB as well as my TT bike and now also on my road bike so to change over to another system would mean 3 sets of new pedals, plus at least 1 pair of cleats and/or shoes.

I've not graduated to the SPD-R / Look style system so I'll hand over to someone else for their advice.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    if you are new to clip-in then spd isn't a bad starting point, it's fairly reliable easy to use and get used to, not too expensive and there are huge ranges of shoes and pedals out there. the cleat is a metal stud type thing that screws into the shoe.

if you want something a bit more tri-specific then the spd-sl/look type are great. i use -sl's and find the fixing much more substantial. once in it makes a good stable platform and i feel well connected. going back to spd's (which i do occasionally) really feels looser, although i could probably tighten up the tension a bit. the -sl's use a larger plastic cleat that does wear down in time.

if you want half-n-halfs (cleat one side and platform the other) then there are few spd types out there, i use m324's on my town bike and they have been fine.

when you first start with them expect to fall off at least once, in front of a crowd of onlookers at a red light. once you are through the first clipless moment it normally becomes second nature.
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    ris wrote:
    when you first start with them expect to fall off at least once, in front of a crowd of onlookers at a red light.
    It happens to me once a year. It's a right of passage... you can't fight it.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I have a pair of shimano spd one side flat pedal on the other, and they are good, the only thing i think i would change is the shoes i use them with. I think that mountain bike or similar type shoes (i.e. not road) would be better as if the pedal is the wrong way up i can't really use it with the road shoes. That said, they are good for those days where you will be in heavy traffic or need to get off and on a lot.

As for falling off at a red light - you cannot fight it
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    'red light' what's one of those? Are they like roundabouts? Lights 15 miles to nearest one. Mini roundabout ditto, big roundabout 25 miles

sheep however we have in the millions
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I have some Spd-SL pedals and shoes both by shimano. The pedals are one sided and budget. I wish had spent a touch more nd gone for the ultegra ones. The shoes are good and only cost £35 (je james cycles)

When it coms to the faling off thing its more like falling over as thdam bike comes with you. recommend practice near some soft stuff like grass or a hand length from a wall for balance. You need to make your brain think A lets get out of these clip on pedals before oh my god jump!

You will love them after a bit a be much quicker.

Good luck moonshine and make sur you try the shoes on before you buy! A shimanos come in a touch small.
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Hey there again- it has been a while! I as a totally novice cyclist went and got the cheapest Specialized ladies shoes that Primera (my local tri shop) and Look Keo Easy pedals and cleats. I have these on both my bikes and they are fab- easy to get out of. Bex