Home Chat General Chat

Chekkies?

Interested in couple of comments relating to paul chek principles..(and just so your aware i am very much a consumer of trainer services not able to provide them!)
I suffer back problems due to dodgy discs, and between the physio and a chek trainer i found the chek trainer much more aware of creating stability and ensuring decent core strength to help me function.
I had this trainer for about a year when i was the bored gym bloke, and he wouldn't let me anywhere near any machines...all had to be done via body weight/balls/bands/bells etc..however i'm sure the principles and the baseline strength i learnt allowed me to throw myself into the TRi training at the turn of this year...where i now listen to all you guys instead!
Also aware my trainer was not a total chek fella he was trained in many other areas such as golf fitness, nutrition, kettlebells etc..so maybe it was his all round experience i gained from...

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    The problem with Chekkies (& to be fair Paul Chek himself) is after the first bit..that you got..they go all glassy eyed & weird & start talking to the trees about electromagnetic fields & primitive man.
    you appear to have found someone that has taken Chek principles & applied them, well done, but despite Chek preaching an open minded approach, he actually teaches & seeks to apply by ridiculing other approaches & getting all glassy eyed..the Chek way.
  • Star chekking accross the universe
    there's conehead on the starboard bow starboard bow starboard bow

I hope someone else has heard the song or else im going to sound like a nutter
    Heard the song..still sound like a nutter....or as we know them...Chekkies.
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    thought his book read ok...thought the trainer was v.good...but now running for the hills whilst burning all chek related material after seeing chek on video for the first time..FFS.. what was smoking?
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Chekkis? ... thought they were a breakfast cereal!

But establishing cores trength and stability is something that I think many triathletes and macho types steer away from. If they are not bleeding from every orifice after a workout something is wrong and injury is just expected and accepted.

From being in agony with my left shoulder I am now pain free due to Pilates which has helped with posture, core trength and stability. I am now able to do some weights to develop tone and endurance but not mass although my left shoulder is still weak and is something that I have to live with.

It's life comanighttrain but not as we know it!
  • Im glad you've had great success with the Chek stuff , in my eyes is some of the best stuff out there, i've completed a few of there courses as well as many others and the depth to with they go to may be to much for some but its excellant technology and i've spoken to a couple of physio's too who also agree.

It's also worth bearing in mind though there's other great theories out there and to remember that as coaches, trainers, therapists ect not to get to get hooked on one mind set but to keep learning and keep an open mind.

As for the tree loving stuff , well that's a whole different subject but one which is still important or at least may become so in time.
    We are all spiritual just on differant points of the curve, it's like study, a learning curve.
    I actually have no problem with Cheks core principles, (See what I did there?) but his disciples give him a bad name & then he goes tripping off about the fairies etc etc, but the basic stuff..can't fault it.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Personally I cant stand their musi.

I d believe in the core strength theories though.
  • Never heard of this Chek guy before today.. just seen the youtube vid..

Well.. what the F*** has what he's talking about got to with reality let alone Tri's or conditioning?

is this some sort of borat/bruno joke or is there something I haven't got/know?

Help required me thinks...

Scotty
    Oh I agree,, he was one of the first I came across, but at heart he is a marvellous marketing man.
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    Don't forget that we are when we eat............... :roll:
    electromagnetically speaking...