Home Chat General Chat

Road or TT

Ok,

I'm wanting to reignite the old debate. Road bike or TT.

I'm in the process of buying a new bike. At the moment its a road bike made up of Argon Frame, shimano 105 groupset, fulcrum racing 5's.

I'm debating whether to go for a TT bike. As much as they are cool looking I'm undecided.

My budget is £1500 and I can get a TT bike but with a crap frame or a really really good frame on a road bike...... at the moment I'm thinking really really good road bike frame. Ok the groupset is not the best but this goes back to an earlier debate. I won't notice the difference between 105 and ultergra cause I'm crap.

So good rood bike or save for TT........ (I want a new bike now though!!!!)

S11

Comments

• TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    Are you keeping your old steed?

I went for a good road frame rather than TT, but then I was considering selling my old bike at the time. Now that I've kept the old one as my training bike I'm not sure if roadie was the way to go. Still it will do me for a few years. At my present level I'm not sure that I'd get that much benefit from a TT frame.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Triathlon bike!

Orbea Ora frame £1,1174 (Primera Bournemouth have it on 24mths 0% finance), swap across your components, add the bars and shifters, upgrade at leisure, sell the Argon frame, Any money left over buy a road bike.
    Cliff Pratt Cycles have the whole bike for just under £1,500 http://www.cpcycles.com/products.php?pl ... 1629&rs=gb only one size though

No doubt other suggestions will flow but that is what I would do.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Cliff Pratt Cycles have the whole bike for just under £1,500 http://www.cpcycles.com/products.php?pl ... 1629&rs=gb only one size though
    That is a beautiful bike - i want one....
  • TT all the way! A good road bike is designed to be good at going up and down tdf style hills... since you are unlikely to come accross anything like that in a TT/triathlon most of the added benefit of having a good road bike is wasted. plus just because its a TT bike doesn't mean its bad at climbing, it just means its not quite as good as the road bike of the equivalent price.

if you really want something that fulfils both roles well go for the Cervelo S1 (review: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/review ... 2009.shtml)

If not go for the focus tria (about a grand) and spend the change on an aero hat and wheels.

p.s. agreed... the Oreba is very pretty!
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    The Cube Aerium Pro is a fantastic mix. I'm gonna order one soon.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I'm plumping for the road bike. While I appreciate the advice to get the road frame.. the components on the my current bike are shit. cheap as chips and lets face you wouldn't stick dogs turds on a beemer would you.

I like to go for decent lengthy cycles and I live in a valley surrounded by really hilly areas so road bike for me, which I'm being told I'll be able to tweak to get a better set up for when I stick aero bars on it.

keeping the old steed, to be honest the old girl has done well but I need to be better. So Argon Frame, Fulcrum 5 wheels, 105 groupset..... can't wait.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Zacnici wrote:
    Triathlon bike!

Orbea Ora frame £1,1174 (Primera Bournemouth have it on 24mths 0% finance)
    That's a scarily small amount per month.