Home Chat General Chat

New running buddy

BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
Hey all.

I have a running buddy!
I have never run with anyone before and its much better as the time seems to slip past quicker.
The down side is she isnt as fast as me. This means I am not running as hard as I was but I am running further!

What do you reckon should I keep it going and burn her out with speed. Should I help her to run faster or should I look to put in some tempo runs each week to balance out the issue??

Its a diffcult one as I now enjoy running with someone and the thought of back to 10 milers on my tod is not apealing.

Comments

• ScibbyScibby Posts: 55
    I would suggest to her that you mix things up a bit.

E.g. .One session you get to set the tempo (but perhaps go or a shorter distance to start with). Next session she gets to chose pace and duration. And a third session where you put 1 minute sprints every 5-6 minutes... etc etc

That way you get a varied routine. I think it's actually beneficial that you run differently - that way you can push each other in your respective weaker areas.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    If you enjoy it, and want to do it, then you should.

You can treat it as the long/slow recovery runs.

If she understands training etc, she won't be offended if you want to do some runs in your LT zone without her!

Alternatively, things like fartlek can be done by a group of mixed ability - you just go as hard as you can to the next gate, bus stop, telephone box, lamp post, three logged dog or whatever it is. Then let the group reform as you recover.

She'll soon get fitter and faster!

Have fun though!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    i would agree with Jack, I run with my housemate who is faster and fitter than i am, which is quite bad for the both of us as he will lift the pace to where he is comfortable leaving me fighting to keep up. You like to run with this person so keep doing it but try not to make it too uncomfortable for her or she won't enjoy it and you'll be back to running on your own. I'd say treat it as you Long Slow Run and thrown in a tempo/fartlek run at another time. Even a half hour tempo run at lunch is beneficial - i tend only to run 3 times a week now as i have bikes and swims to fit in too, but one of those is LSR one tempo/fartlek and one tends to be a forced mid paced run.

That said, fighting to keep up has really upped my speed and stamina to the point where i can do it and i'm now faster/fitter than him. Just.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I was made to promise not to break her before we started. Its been three runs now and 2 have been 10 K at around 55 mins and last night was a 8.2 in 1.19.94.

I did say that she should let me know if the pace is to quick or slow.

I will stick with it and do some tempo runs in between the weekly long slow run with her then.

I kind of knew what you were going to say so its not a surprise. i think i just needed my thoughts backed up.

We arte both training for a half marathon in september so the extra distance and not pace should do me good and I wont kill myself trying to knock time off my PB each week.

Thanks all!
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    I also have a running buddy, trouble is mine is way faster than me !! and just basically takes the pi$$ out of my speed, by running with me, then running off for a quick swim, then back with me, then around me - of course she does have the advantage of having 4 legs and taking the form of a Border Collie - but still she is the best training partner I have ever had - OW swim training with her next.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    You can run with , but similar to the fartlek answer you could make a deal where you can tempo off, so to speak, but never more than say 200m, you tempo back & repeat, or run a smallish route where you will both be in sight of each other you can do 10 laps to her 8 or whatever & keep encouraging each other at the pass points. I have more ways to run mixed abilities..mostly bigger groups but still work.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Advise taken and this week was our first interval/fartlek training run and it works. must of covered twice the distance by boy had a goo run!

Thanks for all the advice and help forumites. Donna my running buddy is much happier with me runing off as she knows coming back.