Home Chat General Chat

Iron Man Taper???

Hello All,

With the UK Iron man now only two weeks away I have found my self to be totally exhausted with no motivation to train any more…since I started my taper I’m finding it impossible to get out of bed and train before work and am so tired all day all I want to do is flop in front of the TV in the evening. With the even to close should I just listen to my body and stop training all together or should I force my self to do some light routines??? (I do a 15 mile round trip cycle to work every day). Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Barny51Barny51 Posts: 16
    Felt the same last year, feel the same this year - am also doing IMUK... Its the body repairing itself..

Personally havent done any trianing for the last week and half - been very lethargic and been sleeping loads - just starting to feel ready to race now and will start some light swims and bike to get me primed.

I recomnded you eat healthly, stop doing any trianing, get loads of sleep, stop cycling to work and do lots of stretching - you are not going to lose or gain any fitnes now - let your boday heel for 5 days and then do light stuff just to get everything moving again.

Warning the lethargy is imense!

see you in bolton!
  • matt333matt333 Posts: 32
    Cheers Barney, that's the kinf of advice I was hoping for!!!! Good luck with the race...Matt
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    Tapers are generally times of rubbish feelings but this is the longest taper I have ever done and it really is quite weird.

Had a shocking rest day yesterday. Got so much sleep, ate loads, stretch even more and then flaked out in the evening. Felt ridiculously guilt and then angry with myself for eating so much. Even pretty much blanked the GAT officer................... bad idea!!!

Today - feeling good. Was up at 4:00 a.m. in prep for race day. Have got a sneaky 40min bike, 20 min run to do this afternoon. Looking forward to it so much!!!!!! In a happy mood and feeling alright.

Stark bloody contrast!!!!! Strange times :roll:
    Glad to hear I’m not the only one feeling rubbish!!!! Starting to feel slightly better now after a week of next to no training and a bit more enthusiastic about race day!!! May even go for a bit of a swim over the weekend!

Good luck for next Sunday.

Matt
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    Yeah also feeling a bit rubbish - totally weird!
    Struggled for a 1hr run on Monday and have only done a few short sessions since. Starting to feel a bit more 'up for it' now after a good swim last night. This coming w/e and week I'll be doing short sessions early morning to get my body adjusted to 6am exercise. Most of my training has been during the day/evening.

run planned for today (Fri) - about 45 mins
    Sat - 2hr bike/run early at easy pace - early am
    Sunday - slow easy run - early am
    mon - rest
    Tues - easy swim
    Weds - short ride/run about 1 hr total - early am
    Thurs - easy swim
    Fri/Sat - rest or maybe a 20 min jog or an easy swim at Rivington if permitted.

Good luck guys - look forward to all the race reports...Just keep that swine flu at bay for another 10 days and we'll be fine!
  • Glad to hear I'm not the only one

I bailed on a 90min pyramid on the bike at the beginning of the week and have felt guilty since. Then partly fueled by the guilt I had a complete rant at the receptionist when I turned up at the pool the next day only to find an aquarobics class on... Rant was justified since I had phoned earlier in the day to check the pool was going to be open and arranged my whole day accordingly. According to the lifeguard the pool was still technically open as I was welcome to do widths in the deep end - I could have hit him I was so pissed off!

woo mood swings
  • timtim Posts: 43
    with you all on the rubbish feeling no long rides eating more etc. reading your plan Al, i had thought that in a taper you do short hard workouts, no easy stuff keeping you race tuned yet allowing recovery? only from what i have read so i could be way off. please let me know if this is not conducive as i dont want the last 9months to be wasted on a DNF.

i was planning on
    today cycle 45mins
    sat off
    Sunday OW swim
    Mon cycle 45mins
    Tues, 1hr football (cant not play!)
    Wed Run 30min
    Thurs Off
    Fri Off
    Sat Rivington swim

all sessions hard (intervals or the like), plus early (working towards 4am) mornings of Yoga (well yoga poses for stretching purposes)

cheers
    God the mood swings are unbearable!!!! I’ve not been my girlfriends favourite person over the past couple of weeks because of this…I never new Iron Man training could be so bad for relationships! Will be glad to get back to my normal stable/sane self once it's all over.
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    By an easy session I mean 60-80% max HR, no hardcore interval stuff. My main aim for the taper is to get used to training early am.