Home Chat General Chat

I'm missing the old forum...i loved it.

Can't believe how the forum has all but died....yes, i know its still going but it's only a shadow of its former self. This forum was excellent, i loved being a part of it. Now what is left?

Comments

• heymonkeyheymonkey Posts: 45
    Gary,

I couldn't agree more. I'm extremely guily of reading forums, but not posting too much. I'd say I visit the forum at least once a day to see what advice is being given etc, but recently you check to see what's going on, and there hasn't been a post for hours!

This site used to be great for newcomers, but now if a newcomer visit...........well it's not the same.

We (including me!) need to revive it.

Phil
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    I know what you mean, it's a combination of the initial problems with this new forum, middle of race season and people going over to bcttt.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    i havent crossed over. and i find the more i use this one the better things are. know what you mean, gaz. still miss the ol' gal too.....
  • I prefered the old one too.
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    me too....!! :roll:
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    It's not just the change of the forum or the rise of BCTTT that has changed the Forum. Ultimately those who posted still visit but the number if postings has declined. I for one know that currently I'm busier either training or racing or enjoying the good weather with the family. I also think that as you move through your first season the number of basic questions you have reduces, and hence the number of postings. I'm sure that with the signing up of new Forumites as they take up Tri a hold host of new and repeat questions will be posted.

I font know what the average posting life of a member is, but if you look back to late 2007 and early 2008 most don't post anymore.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    you's lot have peeved me off wit. i know you's are entitled to opinions but let me voice something.

i too loved the old forum, hated this one until 220 started fixing the bugs. However, we can only piss with cock we're given and this forum is what we have so deal with it.

Gary, we're relying only on guys like you to keep posting, otherwise neewbies (As we were once) won't look at the forum twice. the prob with the change over is that it happened mid season, coupled with log in probs then I'm sure most folks won;t bothered until the season is over. Its got heehaw to do withe BCTTT and thats a cop out for those who try and cry otherwise. For god sakes theres not much happening on that forum either and whatever is posted on the BCTTT is posted on here as well.

So please lets do our best to keep this going and I'm 100% certain after the season is over folks will return.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I am going to have to agree with Shadowone here!
    Its us after all that made the forum what is was not te layout. I also agree that its not the most user freindly but I am sure we will get use to it.

Some of the reasons above are very valid like training/racing and families. for me its not being able to log in at work due to cookies or something. (cant find the cookies but if I could I would eat them, that would teach them).

So with all this in mind from this thread lets get it sorted and get posting. We need to love the newbies and cuvet the hard core.

I still get loads from here and its still worth the effort inmy book. BCTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT's new forum has not drawn me to them but the guys who are there seem to be here as well. Conehead still pops in and gives his advice.experence's.

So its in our hands!
    Cheers Blinky.... glad to have some support.

I for one will do my best to keep this forum going. We need everyone to chip in
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Guys.......i loved this forum........but it is not what it used to be. FACT. I want it back........FACT. Therefore lets not get hung up on forum login issues or other forums that may or may not be contributing to this forums lack of posts etc.........

The bcttt forum is not a patch on this.....its a 'club' form. This is not. I love this forum for its universal accessability.

I want this forum back to its best, the same forum that helped to get me hooked on triathlon.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i don't think i was around for the halcyon days you are referring to, but i think this is a pretty good forum with a good range of experiences in posters. i caught the tail end of all the 'forum buddies' stuff and it sounds like a great thing that i wished i'd been more part of.

you are right, logins and other places are just that, what makes these sorts of places work or not is the people who post there. if it's not the place you want it to be then htfu and get posting so that it starts getting back to it.

like a lack of training, complaining won't fix it. get out there and cyle or run. or was it post? now i'm confused by my own analogy.
    Gary,

Dude I'm not getting hung up but I think there are contributing factors to the way it is. The switch to this forum happended in mid season. Then couple that with the log on probs and you suddenly get a lot of folks, who don't have much time on their hands, struggling to log on.

I stand by what I said, give it time. I love the forum as well which is why you'll see me post more on this forum than bcttt. This place deserves the same time that I was given when I first started.

The only people who can make a difference is us. So lets get typing bro and make it what it once was.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Turn that frown upside down Gary!

Only way this forum keeps going is a steady supply of newbies to ask questions. You've changed is all Gary, which has coincided with the forum change. When you first arrived you asked a ton of questions, but now you don't need to. You know the basics that you didn't before.

We need to attract newbies and then you can dispense the info you've gained and motivate someone else, which lets be honest you're great at! And of course there's always room for banter.

So lets not get too down about the losing the old forum. We've got a new forum! WOOHOO!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    this is ridiculous, there has been at least 12 posts here without the thread being derailed.

standards are slipping.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    all this useful info and you can't search for a single damn piece of it...
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    I think part of it is natural change. I spent the first few months getting as much info as possible now I have plenty of basic info and just need to get on with training. I'm assuming this happens with most newbies so there are less questions until more new people come along.

Plus I think it lost a few of the very experienced people like Treefrog so there's less of the type of questions and posts newbies just wouldn't know to ask, yet.

Hopefully us current newbies will progess and start asking a whole new set of questions, I recently got The Bible and that's opening up a whole new can of lycra clad worms! Augment this with the wisdom of some established people like Condhead etc and an influx of new people and it should be fine.

Keep it alive as best we can, keep its fun, inclusive spirit going and it should grow again.
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    I'm new here ,so please share with me what the old forum was like ?
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    bullet wrote:
    Well bullet, that's the thing... Apart from looking different and less adverts and a few other personnel, its the same!

A forum is only as good as the members and there are still a large number of knowledgable members here who could answer any question you dare ask. So in my opinion, this is the best forum going and welcome to the fold.
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    Good job Shadow1 on keeping out the crud! Once its end of the season and we get bored and start planning again, it will all come out again - "how do i use a mountain bike and why doesnt it change gear when i press down on the brakes"
    I've killed three spammers today already. I love these green powers!!!

I agree with Flava.. its still the same forum (albeit with one that doesn't have a search function that works).

I have emailed 220 on this and I'll drop them another email today.

Gazza - your still the legend btw
  • i agree with alot of what has been said, but also found the forum became a bit of a clique, global domination pushed me to tri talk. it lost the expierence it had in treefrog, britspin etc, who must be posting elsewhere, but you may also notice tri club attendance drops during the season due to holidays, races etc, the off season will bring life to it again.
  • Guys can I just say, I am reasonably new to Tri and to the forum, but I must say I have loved looking at what the experienced and inexperienced has to say.
    You guys are an inspiration to the new people, letting us know not just what wetsuit is best or carbon/alloy debate etc. but just to know you have all been seen and done gives a skip in the heart and a spring in the step.
    Keep up the good work, the ever increasing tri family is growing and needs you.
    Thanks, Frank (DrJekyll)& the Newbies
    [quote]by too much trifle » 27 Jul 2009 11:43

i agree with alot of what has been said, but also found the forum became a bit of a clique, global domination pushed me to tri talk. it lost the expierence it had in treefrog, britspin etc, who must be posting elsewhere,quote]

This ones a shocker. Clique.... that dissapoints me cause I would never have said the forum was cliquey.

does this open up a new discussion???
  • thanks c.h., not ment to p... anyone off, just an observation from an ex-pat, this forum was a great souurce when i first started [not that i'm an old hand now] and needs to hold onto the one's with the knowledge to keep it alive, as i said, come the off season i've no doubt it will be kicking again.
    I know you weren't trying to peev anyone off, I just didn't think it was as bad as that.

At the end of the days its us who'll make the forum stay or die and threads like this show that it will live as its showing that there is people out there still posting away.
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    One of the reasons I'm on this site is that it's friendly and open and you can have a bit of a giggle & it's one of the reasons I joined BCTTT. I'm not a serious athlete but enjoy tri, doing the best I can and also getting the advice and help from seasoned experts and those with far greather knowledge than I have on the subject.

I've visited Tritalk and have often felt there is alot of negative posts & a slight patronising tone to some forumers there....this isn't what I want from a forum...I want friendly, fun, experienced banter and knowlegable debate and assistance!! This is what I feel this site does as well as BCTTT & I also feel I've made a number of new tri friends who have similar interests & hope to continue to do so.... the point of BCTTT isn't to be a clicky club, it's to allow new, intermediate and experienced trialthletes an alternative to the average tri club, gain expert advice and assist one another to succeed in our ulitmate tri goal - which I believe is to do the best you can!....

So my advice is keep posting folks...!!!
  • Tron with Jeff Bridges??

My god!!!!

What a fantastic film.. if only the world was that full of possibilities and wonder again..

Has anyone been excited by the news of wireless power or it just me??

There are some of us who still surf and read this forum daily, I have never been a regular poster to "serious" threads.. perhaps because still I am novice?? plently of knowledge but little experience??

as with the relvolution of life.. this time next year I will post and you WILL listen...

Scotty
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    Conehead wrote:
    ******Thread de-railment alert*******

I've just seen an advert for a new Tron film? Is this true? Is it a blag?
    It is true, and Daft Punk are doing the soundtrack so it should be wicked!
  • Ooooooh Yeh! Here is High Res of trailer teaser.
    DrJ

http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?h ... l=en&emb=0