Home Chat General Chat

Handlebar bottle?

For a recent Sprint I didn’t drink anything on the bike, just took some gulps at T1 and T2. For a longer race I’m going to need to drink on the bike but don’t really fancy reaching down to the downtube. I’ve seen some folk with bottles mounted on the handle bars where they can drink with a straw. Does anyone have any experience of this? I have a Planet X SL Pro Carbon with Profile T2+ Tri Bars, what do I need to be able to mount the bottle up there?

I guess a long tube running up from a bottle on the downtube is out of the question?

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    I've just bought a Profile Aero bottle.

It's quite good but takes a bit of getting used to. Profile do a fixing bracket (extra cost) if you need one - it fits some Profile bars without a bracket.

I've found so far even with the new black top they have put on them, it spills a bit if you go over a bump. This is only a problem until you drink about 10% out, after that it's OK.

Plus (when full) you have nearly a kilo extra weight on your handlebars. Not reall a problem, you just need to get used to it.
  • I have a Profile aero drinks bottle that fits on my tri bars.. I must confess I don't get on with it.. apart from the spillage as previously mentioned I find the actual drinking a problem, I find I can't get enough suction and I only ever get half a mouthful of drink.. that and the fact if you go over a bump while trying to drink with the straw, the roof of my mouth gets skimmed..

my last outing I lost the top of the straw, so I'm hoping that the new flexible tubing I will replace it with will sort the problem out.. otherwise it will be going to a good home...
    A bendy straw would really help, you have to put your mouth over the top of the bottle, which is a bit tricky at first.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i made my own handlebar bottle (i've attached a pic from baff). i found that an sis water bottle had a narrow enough neck to slot into my profile century aerobars. i then bought some brewers tube (35p) and got a disc of plastic cut to the right diameter with the right size hole in the middle (at work, so free) and electrical taped it onto the top of the bottle.

so far it's worked fine.

[attachment=0:2y830364]BA09_0291.jpg[/attachment:2y830364]
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I hydrate constantly during the bike section.

My first bar bottle exactly like yours Ris but used gaffer tape.

Succumbed to aero bottle purchase at a event as I left my Heath Robinson Hydration System at home. Made mistake of leaving price tag on the bag. My wife exclaimed 'how much?' 15 minutes later she triumphantly displayed a not too dissimilar shaped wahing up liquid bottle she retrieved from the recycling bin (reduce, reuse, recycle) with a drinking straw stuck out of the top. Bugger! took me ages to live that one down but hey it would have worked.

Re bracket - I use the elastic bands supplied but also wedge between the bars with a narrow piece of neoperene type foam cut to size. Think I'll have to take photo to illustrate.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Oh if only there was a real solution to this problem.....watch this space guys, with any luck next season you won't need an aero bottle at all
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    A friend of mine has the Profile bottle and he has put the bite valve from a platypus/camelbak thing on the end of the straw. This means it''s a bit easier on your mouth/teeth to drink out of, plus it holds the liquid in the straw so you don't have to suck as much to draw the liquid up.

The newr versions have a black cap that goes over the yellow mesh, you could always gaffa tape over the hole in it to further prevent spillage.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    I use a Podium quest aero bottle....

Far far superior to the profile one. Its doesnt throw all the contents everywhere seals well and best of you can carry 750ml of one drink and 500ml of a different drink:)

£20 and you dont need adaptors as everything is included:)
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Where from bud?

G
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    http://www.podiumsport.co.uk/

Speak to Steve and say I sent you lol.....

It may have been £25.... I cant actually remember! haha
    Those guys need to do some search engine optimization. I had a good look for alternatives to the Profile bottle online but couldn't find this :roll: