Home Chat General Chat

Wet weather running

Just wondering what you guys do for running in bad weather. I don't really mind running in rain but don't have a proper jacket for it yet and it can get a bit soggy. So do you

Run in the gym instead as you don't want to get ill (or is that an old wives tale, water never hurt anone)

Run in a special water resistant expensive bit of kit

Run as normal and enjoy the "being at one with nature"

Comments

• TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    It depends on how bad it is. Nothing better than being outdoors anyway. If it's light'ish, then just go out and get wet. If it's heavier, then I have a 2XU jacket which keeps the worse of it off. Heavier again, then I wear my cycling jacket (which if fully waterproof, but slightly heavier). Truly pi55ing down, then on with on the trails and jump in all the puddles. Like bing a kid again.

Treadmill generally only when it's dark.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I love running in the rain so unless it is really lashing it down and freeezing cold then i just go as normall and have a great time. If it is lashing down and really cold, i might consider wearing a semi-waterproof jacket and a cap, oh and maybe tights not shorts.

Running in the rain is the best
  • clv101clv101 Posts: 45
    I like running in the rain. Often go faster. It's a kind of man against the elements thing I think. If it's cold I'll wear my waterproof cycling jacket, otherwise I'll just wear light stuff and get soaked to the skin.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    I agree with md6. Running in the rain can be great fun! Almost like a challenge to the gods...

So if it starts raining, just shake your fist at the sky and shout "COME ON THEN!!! IS THAT THE BEST YOU CAN DO???"

Love it.
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    Loving the sod the elements, lets just run mentality.

Great to know I'm not the only one, GAT officer thinks I'm mad running in the rain
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    I agree with TRIumphant, its the most fun i have running in maelstroms! jacket wise, i picked up a cheap mountain bike jacket for about £30, have a look in run shops as jackets are always on sale! they won't keep you bone dry, but will keep out most of the rain and more importantly the wind.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/run/8/Ronhill ... 8546/#more

How dry do you reckon this would keep you? got a bit of e-fencing money to use
  • stratoTomstratoTom Posts: 36
    Another vote for the 'au naturelle' option. I find the rain has pretty awesome cooling effects which means feeling fresher for longer. Not to mention I don't own a suitable waterproof jacket.
  • LuckyLucky Posts: 137
    Just get out there and run, best run I ever had was an 8 miler and at the furthest point from home I was caught in a summer storm, still puts a smile on my face thinking about it 10+ years later ;-)