Home Chat General Chat

Good tt/triathlon frames for under £500?

I'm looking for a tt specialst frame for under £500 for a new build, has any one got any experience with frames at this price range? i was thinking of buying a whole bike but i prefer to have the flexibilty and freedom of choice when building one. Any recomendations and tips would be welcome

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Tell me about it.... I've just had that bombshell dropped on me. I was told to avoid TT's until I had more money.... can't squeeze more so plumped for the really good road bike.
  • apana790apana790 Posts: 76
    i've seen a prolite esspreso on chainreaction cycles webiste for around £360, it even has good reviews. kinesis also make an equivelant and dave hinde does a full carbon for around £600? any thoughts on those?
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Conehead wrote:
    er....Dave Hinde...he's up my way.

Ok - what to say without getting sued.

Use the interweb and google him........
    Hahaha funniest five minutes I've spent in ages

A person on the bikeradar made this allegation

"once "went in the shop ( staff incredibly rude ) asked for a Dura ace rear mech ...was told to "make do " with a 105 ...said i wanted a DA as rest of bike was...

Dave ( i know it was him from his TT days ) offered to sandpaper off teh 105 logo & write on dura-ace in black marker & said i wouldnt know the difference.. "

See Here.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Jules wrote:
    [quote="Conehead":3ogmbdgd]er....Dave Hinde...he's up my way.

Ok - what to say without getting sued.

Use the interweb and google him........
    Hahaha funniest five minutes I've spent in ages

A person on the bikeradar made this allegation

"once "went in the shop ( staff incredibly rude ) asked for a Dura ace rear mech ...was told to "make do " with a 105 ...said i wanted a DA as rest of bike was...

Dave ( i know it was him from his TT days ) offered to sandpaper off teh 105 logo & write on dura-ace in black marker & said i wouldnt know the difference.. "

See Here.[/quote:3ogmbdgd]

Reading that had really brightened up my day
    The £800 Tiger Frog looks interesting. You would think in theory that a TT bike could be produced that would be considered at least reasonable for that money, or a bit less.

It seems however that most manufacturers don't make a TT equivalent of their entry level bikes, TT bikes usually seem to start at mid range £1500+.

Perhaps if more people take up tri, rather than just cycling, the number of cheaper TT bikes may increase.

Presumably this is the thinking behing the Tiger Frog £800 bike. The spec looks very similar to my Trek 1.5 (and countless other similarly priced road bikes), it just has a TT geometry frame rather than a road one and tribars with bar end shifters rather than drops and road bike shifters.
    i guess that ill just wait for 1 more year to buy a frame. A 'hmmmm' frame would be better than what i ride at the moment anyway . Only a few more tri's to do this year anyway. The Dave Hinde where i live must be a one off anomaly as they seem to do a good job everytime and a lot of peple in my club ride dave hinde and have no complaints
  • planet x stealth pro carbon is 499. you'll have to pay for postage though. i've got one, really happy with it, light and solid. i'm running better off the bike, and zero jelly legs. definitely recommend it
    thanks for the advice, the planet x frame is looking extremely tempting and even has different colour schemes available
  • just dont get a white one. white is so uncool (i've got a white one, and it seems so does everyone else now! i saw 3 at a race this weekend!)
    hahaha, don't worry i'm getting a blue one. It will match my tri suit and handlebar tape
    Some of that Planet X stuff looks remarkably cheap for the spec. Is it too good to be true?
    they don't make the lightest of frames or wheels but for the price who can complain? they seem to get really positive reviews alot of people use their frames so it's definately worth a look in my opininon
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    I've been looking into getting the Planet X SL Pro Carbon Road frame, can't find a bad word about them on the internet.
    Not sure about the TT frames but probably similar.
  • i've got the frame and the 82/101 aero wheels too. built the bik eup with sram, also got the carbon aero bars from planet x. love the bike, and it's pretty light (when it's not loaded up with all my bottles and food and spare tubs that i carry with me on long training rides!) the wheels arent the most sophistacated so they do get blown around but then they cost a quarter of the equivalent zipps so i'm not complaining about it!