Home Chat General Chat

Savoury refueling?

So you're on your bike... you've been going for a couple of hours, had a couple of sickly gels, maybe a sweet energy bar, sipped some of your sweet tasting energy drink and have just about had enough of bl00dy sweet!

So what's out there? Do you pack a sausage roll? A dairylea dipper? A ginsters pie?

Surely there must be something out there! Gravy flavoured energy drink? Cheese and onion powerbar?

Anyone know of anything?

Comments

• TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Soreen. Fig rolls. Pretzls. Sometimes a danish pastry.

Need to keep them well wrapped, otherwise they're all dried up by the time you feel ready to eat them.

Best refuel though, is a pub lunch. Good old ploughmans, can't beat it.
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    I usually just carry water, a banana and some almonds. Think I may branch out into gravy flavoured drink though, that sounds good!
  • know what you mean flava, i'm trying to think what i can take with me on longer rides that isnt sweet. i'm doing ironman and even though i wouldnt try any new food that i havent tested during training i was wondering what would be a good food to eat that isnt sweet on longer rides/runs. i remember during last years ironman on the run i kept scoffing pretzels cos i was so sick of sweet stuff! pretzels and flat coke got me through though
  • couldn't you blend a Sunday roast with gravy into thick country soup .. ?
    or at least some vegetables and water to make a basic nutrition soup?
    a boiled egg wrapped in foil in your back pocket ?

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    How about Marmite rice cakes!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    On my one and only Long ride i took some soreen and a couple of chocolate mini rolls (as i have a slight obsession with them) and they seemed to be ok but the ride was only 59 miles (and tbh i only made it to about 25... so i don't know quite how it would have been if i was going longer)
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    I was reading Jase Briley's (of fatman to ironman thread and this months 220 mag fame) blog and noticed he munched a cheese and onion pasty during the IMUK 70.3. So Jase, let us know how you made the choice and training research required for the racing pasty for the day. Im trying to picture a pasty taped to the toptube, and its not pretty.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Dave, i think you have found a gap in the market mate.

I can see it now..........Flavadave power bars the savouy choice of the pro's.

I have thought this very thing myself on more then one occasion but it is down to the make up of the body and how it uses sweet stuff to make quick burn energy. as much as we all watch what we eat and the calories we intake against output, we cant get away from sugar is quick energy. The only option I can see is friut but to get the same power output I think you would need to eat a forest or two.
  • heading over to england for the london, what the hell is sorreen? should i stock up while i'm over:?:
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Its a malt loaf with rasins in. Its the food of the gods!!
    Check this link

http://www.soreen.com/original_malt_loaf.asp
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I tend to take Plenty of FIg Rolls and Soreen ... though soreen does get really sticky when its warm. Pasties and Sausage rolls works a treat if you can find somewhere to stash them .... I do beleive Jase wasn't the only one scoffing pasties at the HIM lol.

I am watching this thread awaiting any other savoury comments ... I don't have a sweet tooth and would like to see some more suggestions. I have a half IM to do later this year and am trying to decide my fueling fo rthe ride atm.