Home Chat General Chat

Riding in the wet

How do people get on cycling in wet weather? It terrifies me, everything metal makes my wheels spin an the slightest lock on my rear wheel makes it step out 2 feet. Is it just a case of learning how to handle a road bike in the wet? Do people run grippier tyres or do I just go for a run instead?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    i actually like riding in the wet.....it makes a change and once you're wet through, thats it......isn't it. my advise is to STAY AWAY from road paint! It's like ice!
  • apana790apana790 Posts: 76
    Reduce the pressure in your tires to around 90-100psi depending on your weight what tires are you currently running? because it sounds as if you might want better tires. Get something like michellin pro race 3 or continental make some really grippy tires (try gator skins if you're only gonna use them for training). And just keep pedalling hard to stay warm !!!!!!
  • MintyMatMintyMat Posts: 98
    Thanks for the advice, I'm using Kenda Kontender - something like this:

http://www.flcuk.com/Tyres/Components/7 ... tender.htm

very little grip, I guess it makes sense get something with a little more tread, I just wanted something fast for those still, balmy days I was expecting in the sunniest place in the UK!
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    I don't ride in the wet at all - a combination of London traffic, road paint and manhole covers every 5 feet don't make it enjoyable!

Though I'm sure if you visit your local bike store then they will give you some good pointers on tyre choice - generally the advice you can get there is priceless, 99% of the people I've ever talked to are real "any weather" types.
  • apana790apana790 Posts: 76
    hmmm, yes you will need tires made from a grippier compound, i would recommend gatorskins, they are still fast enough to race on unless you're trying to beat world records and are super grippy in the wet, or if you have enough money to be buying a new set of michellin pro 3s for £60 every 1000 miles (they are very soft and wear out quickly) then go for those as they are super light and super fast and stick like glue in the wet. Vittoria make some wet weather specific tires but i have never tried them
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Unfortunately it's one of those things you just need to do, like the earlier thread about running in the rain. In an ideal world we would trian in good weather, and race in good weather, but life's not ideal, and if you only train when it's fine, then you're buggered come race day in the rain.

As to changing tyres, I know the practice is good, but you can get significantly more grip out of your standard tyres by just reducing the pressure, 90psi in lieu of 120psi.
  • MintyMatMintyMat Posts: 98
    That's good advice, just what I needed.

Believe me, I run in all weathers and have done for years, I've had blue legs, snow in my hair, been soaked to the skin. I'll run 3-4 times a week every week all year. The exposure doesn't bother me, it's the fear of hitting the tarmac at 30mph on a corner when some old dear is negotiating a bend she can't really see.

I'm investing in some gatorskins!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    the grippier compund is fine but don't look for anything with more tread as it reduces the surface area of the tyre to the tarmac.

i've ridden since last september on some stock spesh roubaix pro's, they have naff all tread on them but i could adjust the pressure to give it a bit more tyre to tarmac ratio if i think it will be skiddy out there.

i've been out in -4 to +28 and in all weathers, including torrential rain and hail. so far the bike hasn't tried to lob me off for a lack of grip, but now i've said that tomorrow it will pitch off outside my house!
  • BobBob Posts: 3
    All the tyre pressure/type advice is excellent. And keep off the brakes in the corners. My legs still bear the scars of forgetting that (twice)...