Home Chat General Chat

With Treefrog gone, who is now the extreme right wing of tri

JulesJules Posts: 987
No.

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    why not jules?

They have the kids scootathon now.

On a serious note, I think its a good idea. Would create some good competition and generate more room for the men. (this one's gonna hurt!!)
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    why? why are womens triathlons needed? In most cases they have their own wave.
  • nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    If all the women start doing women only triathlons then what's going to keep me going on the run leg.

I may sound like a perv but they offer something my powergel just can't give.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Hmm........thats interesting!
    Women only riathlons? I see that they do women only 10k runs and the race for life is women only!

I cant see why, in triathlon there is age group and gender classess in the ame race so I dont see te point in making one sex only. I can understand about the ruk in theopen water start but Tommi says that they do women only waves. Should it not stop there?
  • are women in tri suits not one of the rare pleasures on what might otherwise be a miserable sunday morning?
  • And there we have justification for women only Tris.. for those women who want to compete in Triathlon but not to be sexualized...

Don't get me wrong.. I also understand that all the women often get distracted by my form
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Scott I am gathering you arent talking your running form more you modeling of trisuit form!!!LOL
  • totally agree scott, i've also had enough of fit young women slaping my backside as they cruise past me on them climbs. some body should do something!
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Some may have seen my opinion already but ... nope not a fan!! Much prefer to be mixed, atmosphere is much better, far more enjoyable and more competition....bring it on!! Oh and I forgot to say, I being a very shallow individual, far prefer to watch men compete & whizz past me than women!! :roll:
    Joolzd there is nothing more wrong than seeing a 6' fella running down the street in a tri suit. I went out with my brother on a trisuit test run on Sunday and we looked stunning/weird in our all in one suits. Women seem to pull it off a bit better I just look strange, please see attached photo
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    i wouldn't enter a male only race......although i find that strange, because i'm definitely not there to ogle the ladeeeezzzzzzzzzz. so why wouldn't i enter a male only race? Because i'm in it for the atmosphere, the feel of it.........

strange really...........(me that is)!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    oh sweet mercy if my other half reads this i'm going to lose a testicle.

[misogyny on]

women only triathlons? no merit in the idea at all, if they can't keep up with the men then they just need to TRAIN HARDER, BUY A BETTER BIKE and BE FASTER. i need to use caps there because this is important.

they shouldn't allow women's only events because triathlon is about being the best of everyone. women's only events are no good because the best men on the best bikes won't be there.

if you want to compete in real proper events against men, real men, men with fast bikes who train a lot, then you need to take the pinny off, fold up the ironing board and get training. when your husband gets home and asks where supper is give him a gel and tell him you're off to the pool for a couple of hours but will do the washing up later.

[misogyny off]

ok, i'm off to hide while everyone flames away.
    Ris you're either very brave or have a screw loose!!!! I think I need to check out some of these lady only events, are they run by the WI????
  • Women only triathlons? Why? I just don’t see the need... many races have women only waves, but even in the ones that don’t many of the women I know seem to mix it up just as well as the men in the aqua-ruck. If you are that nervous about the scrum stick at the back in the clear water... a message that applies equally well to both sexes.

But... that brings me onto a bugbear I have at my pool: women only swim nights. Twice a week from 9-10pm (normally the only time I can make) my local pool is closed to men. Obviously I can see a whole plethora of reasons why women should be allowed to swim in the absence of men... not least that all men are clearly perverts and have nothing better to do than swim around staring at underwater bottoms. But, I cannot see why any of these reasons don’t apply equally in reverse. My complaints that providing women only nights without making the same provision for men is discriminating have so far fallen of deaf ears!
  • CCSCCS Posts: 53
    OK, I guess I don' thave a leg to stand on here (as I did the Timex Women Only at Dorney lake) - but I think that women only races can play a valuable role - particularly around encouraging new people into the sport.

My own reasons for entering that race were largely around the fact that it was close to home and the date happened to be one when my other half was happy to look after the kids - so not specifically chosen for being a women only race - but I have to confess that I found the atmosphere much more friendly that my only previous race.

However, given the number of comments from blokes about a highlight of mixed races being ogling at women in trisuits, perhaps women only races are a good thing after all....(though personally, I am always surprised that there aren't people trying to cover me up when I wear a tri suit....or Greenpeace coming to try and float me back out to sea....Orca is a most unfortunate brand name for tri gear....)

Enough said. I figure that the races are there, and plenty want to compete in them, so why not? If you don't like them, then stick to mixed races.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Why do women new to the sport need women only races? There aren't men only races for male newcomers. I don't even see why the Race for Life should be women only. Especially now it's to raise money for Cancer Research generally, rather than specifically for breast cancer.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Women only races? Fine by me!

Do they have enough power points in transition for hairdryers though? And all those mirrors might be a bit of a safety issue too.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    No i think women only tris are a good idea, give the little ladies something to do whilst dinner is roasting - which gives them a target time to finish so they can get eveything out of the oven without it being burned - can't abide a burned roast. plus what with doing the washing up (swim training), ironing and hoovering (bike training) and taking the kids to school (run training) they should all be brilliant. And besides it should tire them out enough that they stop nagging.

***Disclaimer - this in no way reflects my thinking on anything except a burned roast dinner - i really can't stand it
  • which gives them a target time to finish so they can get eveything out of the oven without it being burned
    but what about the risk of punctures?? As you say I wouldn't want my lunch ruined!
    ewanamacdonald wrote:

but what about the risk of punctures?? As you say I wouldn't want my lunch ruined!
    they'll have to accept that the roast dinner is top of the priorities list and if they have to run a 26min 10k in order to get home in time then that's what they'll have to do. Like you said, wouldn't want lunch ruined
    Women seem to pull it off a bit better I just look strange, please see attached photo
    ....wow that is a look...jeez whatch out mate with that thing on!!!

& as for roast dinners..reckon you lot will be wearing it rathar than eating it at this rate!!!
    I must apologise for my terrible spelling above...obviously hadn't eaten!!! :roll:
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    No.

[sounds of soapbox being hauled into place]

I would refuse to tolerate triathlon if it adopted segregation, apartheid and gender division as standard in races.

Women are not frightening monsters that need to be hived off into their own little separate events, we are just ordinary human beings who want to compete with all the other human beings.

You could just as easily say 'how about blacks only triathlons' or 'How about separate races for people with ginger hair', or 'I don't want to race alongside anyone who weighs more than 12 stone'.

Outrageous.

[Sounds of soapbox being put away].

blurredgirl
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    [quote="Blurredgirl" 'I don't want to race alongside anyone who weighs more than 12 stone'.

Outrageous.

[Sounds of soapbox being put away].

blurredgirl[/quote
    Do we have a replacement for Treefrog.
  • YeppahYeppah Posts: 15
    I think triathlons for women only is a great idea
    - for countries where women would otherwise not have the option to compete...

Otherwise: No Thanks!
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    Just in the interest of continuing the debate

The thing is it's not the men saying get rid of the women. It's women often requesting this type of segregation becuase they do feel intimidated. So if it's coming from women themselves rather than being forced on them by men then surely they have that option?

The simple fact is that there are many women who would feel intimidated in the full mixed atmosphere and may find it too competive, too exposed or whatever. If not, then why were there so many entries to the Tri at Dorney Lake?

Surely it's better to have the option or the sport would be missing out on people taking part who might not otherwise do so.

Personally though, I'd rather see everyone mixed.
    Swizzlenap wrote:
    Just in the interest of continuing the debate

The simple fact is that there are many women who would feel intimidated in the full mixed atmosphere and may find it too competive, too exposed or whatever. If not, then why were there so many entries to the Tri at Dorney Lake?
    I think they should HTFU and get on with it - unless of course the dinner is on
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    yeah, if the purpose of a women only race is to entice women to give it a go without a bunch of over competitive alpha males being intimidating then it's a good thing, no? I know for sure that my wife would be more comfortable giving this type of event a go as a first-timer.

In this context segregation makes a lot of sense.

But generally speaking events should be inclusive & not exclusive. Race, age, gender, nationality, ability - whatever.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but dont these already exist?
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    They certainly do, we're just debating their merits....or lack thereof.