Home Chat General Chat

Puncture repair on race?

huwdhuwd Posts: 228
Just interested - does anyone carry tyre levels/patches on a race?

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Normally 2 spare inners and a collection of patches,plus tyre levers.
  • Same kit I train with..
    1 spare tube, 2 C02 cansiters, levers, repair kit, multi tool.

I know I should carry 1 extra tube!!! and a small pump too!!
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    1 or 2 tubes, depending on distance, patches, tyre levers, multi-tool, 2 or 3 CO2 canisters, again distance dependent, spare valve extender, and also a micro pump (just in case CO2 fail)
  • I usually have a tube, levers and a pump, however after sunday ill be carrying additional tube and an alan keyset
  • 2 spare tubes, 3 CO2 canisters, multi tool, puncture repair kit and tyre levers.
  • question, I've never used the C02 cannisters, does it get the tire straight up to the required pressure e.g. 120psi ?
    And is it a use once then dispose of ?

I'm thinking of getting a whole setup for my OD race.
  • It basically tells you on the cannister what it will take your tyre pressure too (depends on the size of cannister and size of tyre), but generally one small cannister will give you the required pressure (120psi) and bloody quickly too!!

They are very useful
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i carry a spare tube, levers, multitool and repair kit in my saddle bag and grap my minipump in transition (the mount for the bike broke )

not used co2, i can just see me hitting the tyre up to 120 and then getting a pnucture again with the bit of glass still in the tyre!
  • jamewahjamewah Posts: 113
    On sprints I take a chance & have no repair kit or pump, no point - if you get a puncture your race is finished anyway !
    OD minimal kit: 1x tube, and pump attached to my frame & tyre levers.

Training rides or long distance sportive event etc: the full shebang ! 2x tubes, pump, patches, tools etc in the saddle bag.
  • I have a paralysing fear of getting a puncture in a race. Never repaired one and only ever changed a tube once. Pretty sure the time it'd take me in a race would lead to a DNF.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I carry a spare tub and a pump. Also a puncture repair kit because of the finer points of Sod's Law... if you get one puncture and use your only tube, you know what is going to happen....

Yeah, you're race might be over, but surely it is better to slowly idle back to base on your bike and declare a DNF than to have to walk 10 miles back on your cleats?

Not used CO2 because a) I'm a tight arse, and b) I saw somebody attach one incorrectly once. He froze his valve so that even his back-up pump wouldn't work. Sorry, but I chuckled.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Bopomofo wrote:
    surely it is better to slowly idle back to base on your bike and declare a DNF than to have to walk 10 miles back on your cleats?
    Very true!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    KidStardust wrote:
    I have a paralysing fear of getting a puncture in a race. Never repaired one and only ever changed a tube once. Pretty sure the time it'd take me in a race would lead to a DNF.

With a bit of practice you should be able to repair a puncture in 5 mins,5 mins on a sprint distance is quite a lot but on a longer distances you can easily
    make up some of the time.So would you prefer to have a finish time that is a fraction longer than expected or a DNF by your name.Have courage and practice there are countless books,Internet articles and probably YouTube clips on the subject.Don't let a puncture ruin months of training,so practice.
  • I'd definitely have a crack rather then DNF but it gives me sleepless nights.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    I guess its whether you'd prefer to shell out £30-£50 on a DNF or what would become a decent training run...

Why give up when the going gets tough? Aren't the tough supposed to get going then?

caveat: Elites with alternative motivation may choose to DNF and leave themselves fresh for next week etc etc etc.

didds
  • BobBob Posts: 3
    I had about 8 punctures in three months over the winter training. I carry all the above and a can of that compressed gunk that fills and repairs the tube. Vittoria something I think.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    I've had a bit of practice recently changing tubes as my wheels are an absolute arse ache to get the tyres on.

I've tried 3 different sets of tyres and hasn't made a huge difference but i am getting better at changing just because I keep pinching my bleeding tubes and snapping levers! (gotta get some new wheels).

In a race I carry co2, spare tubes, puncture kit, same as when I'm out and about. I'd definitely go for the repair and finish approach in a race, regardless of distance. Besides which the thought of walking my bike all the way back just seems too depressing to contemplate.

Repair and finish. Valuable experience I reckon.