Home Chat General Chat

Races

Hi. I am looking for some advice. I have never done a triathlon before and am not a super-athlete. However, I would like to compete at a casual level. I had set my sights on something early next year, but I can't find a list of events that would be suitable. As I was hoping to compete in something early next year, it would have to be outside the UK (I actually live in Sweden anyway).

Is there any website or list that is generally available with events that might be suitable for a beginner?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Hi mincepie6,

Triathlons are great! Go for it! I'd try doing a google search for a tri governing body in whatever country you want to race in. They should have a race calender for all levels. Failing that, try searching for local triathlon clubs and see if they have anything organized. At the very least email them and they should be able to point you in the right direction! Just as a matter of interest, was "mincepie" taken?

Good luck in your first tri!!!

• Hi mincepie6,

There is the triathletes homepage here in the UK that advertises UK events. I know that's not what you asked, but it also has some useful links to international sites which may be of more use to you:

http://www.triathletes-uk.org/links.html

Depending on your athletic background and goals will probably determine the level of event you want to enter at. Typically there are a range of events from novice/supersprint right up to ironman distances. You probably want to try a shorter event first to see if you like it and then build from there (I've only done one novice event but loved it and am planning a fuller season next year - after training I wish I'd entered the sprint but wanted to ensure that I finished)

Distances are, typically:

novice/supersprint: 400m swim, 10km bike, 2.5km run

sprint: 750m swim, 20km bike, 5km run

standard/olympic: 1500m swim, 40km bike, 10km run

half-ironman (HIM): 1.2mile swim, 56mile bike, 13.1mile run (70.3mile)

ironman (IM): 2.4mile swim, 112mile bike, 26.2mile run (140.6)

Whatever you do, don't worry about it, train properly, there's much information to be had here and on www.tritalk.co.uk and enjoy it!

Good luck

Rob
  • I have the third most popular surname in Britain and a relatively common first name as well. When I first set up my hotmail account, I couldn't use my own name, it was christmas and I happend to be living in Japan at the time and was sorely missing mincepies. Bizzarely, there were already 5 mincepies on hotmail. Just goes to show you.