Home Chat General Chat

Winter's coming . . .

I know it's only the end of July, but I'm thinking ofpreparing a Training Plan for the winter period. Thoughts are to scale down intensity of training, but not volume, and concentrate on strength and technical skills. It's my first season of Tri, so never had any down-time, so just wondering what others do when they are not racing.

Comments

• I do some indoor stuff like judo and brazillian jui jitsu...might even put ina few months of muay thai if i can. Though this winter i wanna put on some muscle so probably just weights and some cross country/winter races.

Anyone else on here do XC?
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I used to do muay thai. 12 years of it. Never had so many injuries/ probs in all my life.

Everything related to back issues that was caused by the extreme mad stretches..... never again. I was bloody good at it as well.

I personally will avoid the old muay thai...
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    Blimey Coma, you'll be able to take Chuck Norris after that lot

I'm probably going to concentrate on swimming for a while as I'm utter rubbish at it. I'm not actually planning on my first Tri until next year so it's a bit of a long wait for me. I'll probably do a fair bit of running too.

The plan is to try and put together some sort of long term training plan using the benefit of good ole Joe Friel Training Bible. I'm sure I won't get it spot on but at least I'll have a structure to work to.

I won't really do any XC as I'm not an all round sporty person so don't have much interest in other sports.
  • jules653jules653 Posts: 11
    I focus on cross country through the winter months to get a good running base. The running club I am a member of has races practically every weekend. Also focus on swim technique (lord knows it needs some attention).

Haven't trained much on the bike in previous years through the winter but intend to change that with the purchase of a turbo trainer this year. Anyone got any recommendations for a decent trainer, given that I live in a 1st floor flat?
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Plan for the winter is cycling and weights.
    From the end of September I'm going to ditch the running and swimming until January to really work on the bike.
    Got Joe Friel's cyclists training bible so looking to get something worked out in the next month or so.
  • It might just be me.. but I'm quite excited about the winter trianing.. as this is my first season of Tri I'm really looking forwad to properly training over the winters months and staring in Jan even fitter than I am now..

Pratice Swimming, weights.. and of course

competing in my clubs X-Country league.

Last year I got a medal from my running club.. Ever present in the XC races - my first running award!!!
    this year not only do intend to run in every race but... actaully score (just 1) point for my club
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Mostly I'll be doing the same as the summer, though with an emphasis more on slower endurance building stuff.

If I can afford a turbo* I'll do some sessions on that to improve my bike speed too.

Competition wise, I'll be running a few races mostly in the Borders League.

*Major WAT payment (aka "we need to decorate the bedroom") due in approximately October.
  • shadowone1 wrote:
    I used to do muay thai. 12 years of it. Never had so many injuries/ probs in all my life.

Everything related to back issues that was caused by the extreme mad stretches..... never again. I was bloody good at it as well.

I personally will avoid the old muay thai...
    Thats cause you can touch both sides of the ring at the same time ya tall bugger!

I just got the pictures from the finish line

[img:2pxomuzq]http://file047b.bebo.com/2/large/2009/07/28/10/412502874a11314142343l.jpg[/img:2pxomuzq]

says it all really!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    my winter is going to be running and swimming. I'll also be investing in a turbo, get to the gym and keep the bike legs turning about once a week, i have an early season marathon planned so i will need to get the long run up but i never really drop it below 10 miles anyway. I intend to get my half marathon and 10k pace to improve too with some harsh hills and interval sessions.

Are there any goof drills/intervals etc for the turbo that I can try out when i get one?
  • YeppahYeppah Posts: 15
    Need to work on front crawl - a lot!

Some MTB on weekends and commuting by bike if it´s not too much snow.
    Lots of time on the rowing machine, I actually like it!

Running... Well, as much as the joints can take, hopefuly once a week.
  • apana790apana790 Posts: 76
    cross country running, going to the velodrome to work on some handling skills and top end speed, long days in the saddle doing big distances at a steady pace, weights, a lot of swimming at the local leisure centre working on techinque (there's always room for inmprovement there )
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    this is a great thread......sounds like all us newbies (those of us in our first season) are thinking the same thing.......the winter will provide us with an opportunity to put in some high quality base training, hopefully making us stronger and faster for next year........i can't wait.
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    I'm not looking forward to the weather turning cold again! But I plan to work on my swim endurance, to get out on my new winter training bike when the weather allows, and to up my running endurance cos it will no longer be too warm to run at lunchtimes & in the evenings.

Good call, whoever it was mentioned the cyclist's training bible previously in this thread; got that in the house somewhere & perhaps will actually pick it up and read it!