Home Chat General Chat

£300 on what???

So I’ve decided not to purchase the Garmin 310XT as it doesn’t seem worth the cost of the limited upgrade in functionally over my 305 (until next year’s IM when the 20hr battery life will be worth it..). The wife tells me I should use my birthday money to pay off some credit card bills but…

What should I spend the money on then?

My shortlist:
1. Garmin 705 Edge – cycle GPS – I love my gadgets
2. Upgrade my old retired training bike to a single speed winter hack with flip/flop hub – approx £150 leaving £150 for other things
3. Entry into IMUK – was going to fund this next year anyway
4. Put towards coaching with Mr Kiddle for IMUK
5. Bike components upgrades, I have a Trek 1.7 (2008)

As this is monies from my 30th birthday I want to spend it on something tangible, hence not wanting to pay bills

My thoughts are I have all the kit I need for this seasons races, the best way I could save time is still to lose weight and train harder therefore lighter components aren’t my preferred choice.

Have I missed anything, or does anyone have any thoughts I haven’t thought of?

Scotty

Comments

• TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    I'd invest in in a Garmin 310XT, you won't regret it.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Or Oakley Jawbones. Vented and changeable lenses. If it's good enough for Cavendish, Wiggins, Armstrong and the rest of the TDF, then it's good enough for us.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    TRIumphant wrote:
    Or Oakley Jawbones. Vented and changeable lenses. If it's good enough for Cavendish, Wiggins, Armstrong and the rest of the TDF, then it's good enough for us.
    Is this a wise spend unless you are an elite (I know Scotty's nearly there )?

I love reading the manufacturers info about very expensive stuff

"Oakley uses a liquid infusion process that creates bonding at the molecular level, allowing the filter to achieve the highest possible level of performance. "

So they're made of something that is made up of molecules bonded together? Gosh.
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    soreen
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I PM'ed treefrog to see what he thought... Answer below:

" £300? What the hell is the point of only spending £300? You tight-fisted amateur! Why not simply add another £3000 to it and buy something decent???!! Just get on with it, spend some money and stop whinging. Or go home. Your choice!"

I think that clears it up nicely.
  • AHHHHH...

I miss Treefrog and his subtle attitude to training/life..
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    I bet you spend it all at the Expo this weekend.....
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    IM entry - why not join us at IMCH???? There's already a good few of us going