Home Chat General Chat

Gels, what's the preference . . .

I've generally used SIS Gels so far, and mixed the standard and caffeine ones, and had some of the ZipVit (as they came in a sample box). Got a HIM next month, and they're providing HoneyStinger Gels, which I haven't tried yet, and probably need to give a go before race day (don't try anything new on race day etc etc etc).

What others have people tried, and how do you find them?

Comments

• jacjac Posts: 452
    Was on the SIS gels but recently switched to High 5 Isogel and Isogel Plus (contains caffeine). So far have found them great. No need to have water with them either.
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    No such thing as a nice gel. Prefer isotonic so you can drink it with sports drink rather than have to carry water to go with gels.

Have used SIS and High 5, both work, both minging. (IMO)

Ade
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    I prefer the isotonic SIS go gels too, but thought Id give the SIS smart gel a go at Windsor, just before I hit the first hill onthe run. bad idea. It was disgusting, and for that reason alone, Im definitely trying stuff before racing from now on. I reckon my face was this colour, but without the grin:
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    I've tried a few varieties including SIS (not bad), Lucozade (a bit sickly), Torq (really like), Gu (from America which I recommend if you're not a fan of gels. Chocolate one is like Nutella! Works well), but I have found the High 5 with caffeine gels are brilliant.
  • before I found the SIS Smart gels I used the Maxim ones (needed with water)...

not really sure at the end of the day the I could prove one was better than another..

when it comes to taste?? HTFU?? only joking...personal preference...
  • IronABSIronABS Posts: 66
    I didn't think the SIS gels worked well for me, i use Accelerade (Gels & Drinks) good taste easy to swallow and i can actually feel it getting to work unlike SIS. The only problem is Accelerade is only avbailable from one place in UK, Tri-Central Manchester, which fortunately is nearby but they sell out almost as soon as stock arrives!!!
  • fatstufatstu Posts: 46
    Powerbar stuff is good although I really struggle to get the tops off. However, GU ROCKS!!!!!!! No idea why they don't have a UK distributor but you can probably order in from US. Loads of flavours including one with no flavour at all. Easy to use, tastes to suit everyone - order some now. Personal favourite flavours Lemon Sublime, Just Plain, Vanilla
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    I quite like the SIS ones, but I've not tried an apetising gel of any kind.

I like they way you can easily tape a gel to your bike, but I prefer more solid food, bars or chews, if I've got somewhere to put them.

I like the Powerbar rideshots with caffine and the other day I got given a chocolate Mule bar, which was really nice and seemed to work pretty well.