Home Chat General Chat

Compression socks . .

Seen a few people racing in long compression socks, and I'm tempted to give them a go. Anything that stops my calves aching is moeny well spent.

Do they work, and are they best to run in, recover in, or both?

Comments

• jacjac Posts: 452
    1000 mile are brilliant IMO. Use them for recovery and they work wonders. In the winter I trained in Xsocks but it's no socks at the mo to get battle hardened!
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    I must have missed that one. I'll have a look.
  • I only have 1 pair but always wear them after running..

I'm not totally convinced they work.. but....

since wearing them I get less shin splint pains, less DOMS an better recovery... coincidence??
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    i have xsocks ones which i wear to run in and i have some 2xu calf things which i wear after - unless i am wearing my skins tights then i just weat those with some nice warm socks over them...

but yes they work. I wear while running and i believe that it helps stave off fatigue - i am also tempted to give the calf guards a run out under my wetsuit at my first OD and see how they perform - i figure that as i am underprepared that i may as well treat it as a big training session and see how they go - oh and post a bloody fast time while i'm at it as the compression will make me faster...
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    I wear X-Socks as well. Found them better than the Nike ones I did London Marathon in last year. Also swear by my 2XU tights after training. Not tried Skins but have heard good things about them.
  • i have calf muscles that look like their hideing footballs, wuold compression socks be to tight?
    I'll let you know. Just picked up some X-Socks compression socks and will use them for training tonight. I'll post the results on how my calves feel tomorrow.
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    So after what distance would people who use compression socks wear them?
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I tend to wear them for Long distances (which will vary from you to me) and for speed ofr hill sessions. any run which will hurt my calf i will wear them for. personally anything under 10 miles, or less than 30 mins hills/intervals etc i wouldn't bother but like i said it would vary from person to person.

I wear compression shorts when i run and i would wear them for any running distance
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I'm confused by compression socks. Blood flows to my legs and back, I'm quite certain. I can run and then stop running and then run again in the evening or the next day. I'm not that fast, but working hard at getting better. There doesn't seem to be any problem, but everyone keeps talking about compression socks... Would my legs turbo recover? Will blood start to spout from my toenails because of all this increased blood flow?

What am I missing? Why do I need this? Why do I not know that I need it? Why am I so confused?
    I purchased a pair of X-Socks compression socks last night, and did my usual Tuesday night training session with them on. 1.5 hours trail running, 1 hour core conditioning, 1 hour spinning. I must say that my calves feel significantly better than they usually do. Whether this is a placebo effect, or if it's the socks not too sure. Only wish I'd bought two pairs, as it seems you need to train in them and recover as well, and after 3.5 hours I just wanted to get the sweaty smelly things away from me.

Felt a bit of a twat in the gym with my long socks pulled up high though.