Home Chat General Chat

Swim V Bike V Run . . .

Of the three disciplines, whats peoples preference?

I came from a surfing background before Tri, so never had the fear of the swim, but now I feel that I am stronger and enjoy the bike the most. Still hate the run though.

Comments

• jacjac Posts: 452
    The bike without a shadow of a doubt.
    Used to love running but the more I do the more twinges I get. Swimming is ok, but nothing does it for me more than some quality bike training.
  • jules653jules653 Posts: 11
    I am an awful swimmer but get the biggest kick out of it just because I couldn't swim at all 2 years ago. Open water swim training is also my favourite training session as it can be so peaceful and relaxing.

Come from a running background so that is my second favourite, the bike still hurts my nether regions
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Bike.

My swimming is a bit slow and running at the end is hard!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    default to bike, i do more cycling than anything else (mainly as a result of commute). not sure that makes me any better a cyclist but it is the bit i find easiest to focus on and get motivated for.

i've been swimming regularly for 6-7 years so my swimming is consistent and pretty reliable.

i'm not much of a runner but the upside is that i am still seeing steady improvements in my running. i feel like i am making big progress whereas with the bike and swim it seems like tiny steps. downside is i am getting lots of niggles with my knees which i hope will settle down soon.

last race i got discipline splits - swim was 108th, bike 33rd and run 62nd, overall 55th. for me, it's all about the bike!
  • Xyzee_ukXyzee_uk Posts: 100
    I agree with Ris. Cycle is my best - mostly due to commute.

Have really improved my running and swimming not great.

Split on my first tri at rother valley
    Swim - 70th (ish)
    Cycle - 32nd
    Run - 105th (ish)
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    To go against the flow here - Running. I was a runner I always enjoyed it, and i still do. I find that i can switch off and enjoy the feeling of it, if i switch off on the bike or swim i'd die - in both!

Running also leaves me with more feeling of achievement - I can ride for an hour or two and work hard, feel great, but i run for 2 hours and it just feels amazing...i think i might be a little weird
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Swimming is heavily reliant on technique and running is hard on the body, I would guess about 90% would say the bike - myself included
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    For me it depends what im doing. I dont mind the swim in general, but still want to get it over with, then on the bike im initially happy, but then my butt hurts and I want to get off and run. As soon as Im running, I want to get back on the bike and by the end Im so hot that I want a swim.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    It's running for me, but the reason I started tri was to cross train as was getting too many running injuries. At present I'd say cycling was my strongest and that's not saying much
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    Hmm, good question.

I used to think that swimming was the “entry fee” or price I paid to take part in a great bike race, followed by a run.

I’ve got better at swimming now and have to say I really enjoy the swim. I enjoy the physicality of the start, I enjoy changing pace, I enjoy trying to draft off other swimmers and all of that. I just love open water swimming. It’s so liberating.

I’ve found the bike leg tough in my 2 races this year and have enjoyed it less than I used to.

I’ve run lots this year, and for the first time I’ve trained in a structured way. I really enjoy run training - especially if I can find a route beside water - but less so run racing because it’s more of a slog after the bike.

Analysing my times against the rest of the field (whole field, not my age group) in my 2 races this season my swim times have been in the top 50-60% range, bike top 50-55% range and run top 32-48% range. This suggests that I’m comparatively better at running.
  • i live beside the sea, and although normaly swimming should be my worst event constantly training in open water seems to give an advantage, always surprised how o/w swimming freaks people out.
    the bike is the strongest for me as was always into mountain bikes and am old enough to have had the original BMX's [go kouahara!] but this counts for nothing as i run like a bag of frogs!
  • BootooBootoo Posts: 29
    Its running for me too. I agree with md6. There is nothing harder or more satifying than a good run. I am not good at it but I feel all warm and fussy after it
    Biking is my strongest though and I really enjoy that. Swimming never really feels like exercise as I don't get hot and sweaty I got into tri as cross training for running due to injuries too.
  • mcnab_jnrmcnab_jnr Posts: 2
    Swimming and running are joint, running least favorite, but I love it all, pain runs through me
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Annoyingly, running is my best event when fresh, but come tri time i prefer the swim... My shit bike usually puts paid to any hopes of a decent run.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I used to be a good swimmer when I was younger but a car accident 20 years ago has left me with little strength in my left shoulder so now feature in bottom 3rd of all age groups (but getting better)

Bike - hardly touched a bike (in fact not for about 40 years) until my first tri 3 years ago, tend to place about my overall position which is about middle 3rd of all age groups.

Run - top 3rd of all age groups.
    Bootoo wrote:
    Swimming never really feels like exercise as I don't get hot and sweaty
    i find there's nothing quite like working up a set in the pool and building the speed up to almost bursting point, or having a lap target you are chasing like a madman. the worn-out feeling i can get from swimming is like nothing else - my body feels loose but the muscles are warm and i'm hanging on by a thread to not flop over.

if i did that in a run or bike i think i'd feel beaten up.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Okay so here goes....

I HATE BLOODY CYCLING!

There, I said it. i dont mind it when i'm racing but i hate going out on it on my own for miles and miles. dont enjoy it one bit, have to drag myself on to it after a firm talking to. i enjoy myself when i'm with someone but it seems so pointless otherwise. I'd quite enjoy a commute because theres a REASON to do it. But I live where I work! Aaarghh!the nearest club is a 50 mile round trip. At 7am on a sunday? for something i dont really like? Pfft!

This is why my bike leg suffers of course. And I enjoy running because it's time well spent with the dog.

I LOVE swimming and always in the top handful of every race.

Maybe i should just do OW swims.....Hmmmmmm.......tempting!

Am I alone in the bike thing? I am, aren't I?!!
    jesster, you like swimming because you are part dolphin. what is it? 21mins for 1500? crikey.

and the reason you don't get on with cycling is because shimano haven't yet done a flippers to pedals attachment that really works - when they do you'll be flying.

could you walk the dog while on the bike? pooch might have to break a sweat to keep up, but they'll get the hang eventually.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    lol Ris, you make me roar