Home Chat General Chat

sub 1 hour sprint (is it possible?)

I was wondering if i could possibly be able to do a sub 1 hour sprint tri by the end of the season? The course im plannin to attempt it is the North west tri one in cheshire. Ive done the fun events on the course 3 times already so im familiar with it. Anyway I can swim 500m in 8.00, bike 20km in 32.06 and run 5 km in 17.30 all of this adds up to 57.36 but there obviously will be transitions involved and i doubt that i will be able to race full out in all 3 disciplines in one race . What are your opinions on this or have i set the bar too high?

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    No reason why not.
    Brinscall sprint Tri,near Chorley,27 sep.
    Best of luck.
    www.chorleytri.co.uk
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    you've given yourself 2:23 for transitions to come in under the hour IF you can repeat if not better your times already.

that 2:23 will need to cover

* getting out of the pool
    * running to bike
    * helmet on
    * bike off rack
    * run to mount line (assumes bike shoes on bike, if not add bike or runners on, assumes trisuit worn)

then

*run from dismount to racking
    *rack bike
    *helmet off
    * runners on (if not on already and cycled in them)
    *run to "run out"

If the tri you are doing has short runs to transition from pool and dismount, and equally of course short runs from transition to mount and to run out then you may well be able to do this yes!

Anything with a long run between disciplines and transition will I suspect hamper your effort e.g. salisbury for example has a 200m at least run from t1 to mount and back again.

didds
  • apana790apana790 Posts: 76
    There's a bit of a run from the pool to T1. So it would be a tight squeeze to get it all done in under an hour. Unless i improve by september.

It's a fast course (the top 5 always go under 1 hour) and i have transition practiced to perfection, shoes attached to bike etc (although my display in trentham didn't reflect all the time i spent perfecting my transitions) . It would be amazing to break the hour in first season of properly competing and being in A category (15-16). If i have a bad day then it's no biggie, there's always next year
  • 500m swim, does that still count as a sprint? is 750m not the minimum?
  • apana790apana790 Posts: 76
    Depends on the orginizers i guess. I think that for events such as the british sprint champs it has to be 750m
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    750m for a Sprint. 400m for a Supersprint.

Sub 1 hour, I'll tell you after I've done London on Saturday
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    not necessarily, pretty much every pool based sprint is 400m, with bikes around the 20k mark and a 5k run. Supersprints are often 400m swim, 10k bike, 2.5k run.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Yes you can do it. Go for it and see what happens.