Home Chat General Chat

Shoes at T1 . . .

I know the Elites always have their shoes clipped in at T1, and put them on as they're cycling away. I can understand why they do it. However, having been to a few races now, the majority of poeple who do it seem to make a complete hash of it, and I can't see how it's saved them time.

Do most people do it, and have you got any tips. i remember rading something about elastic bands, but never really understood what they are for.

Comments

• apana790apana790 Posts: 76
    1. You need tri specific cycling shoes
    2. I personally don't bother with elastic bands (they're used to stop your shoes from tipping upside down or rattling the floor as you run with the bike)
    3.Put some talk inside the shoes (makes entry in wet feet much easier and stops any chafing)
    4. Don't put the shoes on until you're up to at least 3/4 race speed as you will just come to a stand still when trying to put your feet in
    5. Don't try to do everything at once, first put one shoe in, pedal for a bit to get back up to speed, put the other one in, pedal a bit more, do velcro starps up and of you go. This only really applies if there are a few turns leading from T1 or it's slightly up hill if it's down hill then you could do everything in one go
    6. It takes alot of practice

Hope this helps
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    I watched a youtube vid on the triTV section yesterday. This guys explains the bike mount and dismount pretty well and even demonstrates each type of mounting.

I do the shoes in, elastic thing and its good if you get it smoothly and people dont all stop to clip in just in front of you. Find a few metres of open road and I guarantee you will take the guys with shoes on their feet anyday. You just need get your feet on top the shoes and you can peddle till you get to speed and have some pace. Then get them in and you are away.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    I need to spend of bit of time on YouTube / TriTV and then practice. Maybe somehting to work on over the winter.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I also really need to get this cracked, have a look at these links:

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Article ... sition.htm

Now there is a lively debate here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_ ... _P2236461/

You could I suppose wear MTB shoeslike these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Sidi_ ... 360037032/
    I wonder if in time someone will produce a hybrid for triathlon.

I must add that I seen several people come a cropper with their bikes coming into T2 where the shoes cath, the bike flips and ooerrr expensive carbon go scratchy scratchy. To be honest I will probably continue with the shoes on bit as my balance is poor and I will probably crash trying to faff about with the shoes off bit. Another thing is getting to the mount point with some transition areas is damn painful and even if you do the flying mount bit etc and then find a bit of gravel between your toes - ouch.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    I've mastered the coming into T2, but not practised the going out of T1 yet. Might leave that for next season. Chap racked next to me at the weekend had elastic bands on his shoes, so I mentioned that I hadn't because I hadn't practised. He said it was his first tri and that's what he thougth was supposed to do. Not sure if he left them on or not.