Home Chat General Chat

Trainers or race flats . . .

I always race in my general training shoes, but some people seem to have specific race flats. Is there any benefit, or am I best just sticking to what I always use?

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    If you don't mind me asking you a personal question, how heavy are you?
    Also are you a forefoot runner or heel striker.

I am just under 69kg at the moment, but I am 6'1 so quite lightweight, I wear running flats - saucony A2s and fast-twitches to be precise. But they are very light with not a huge amount of padding, so for athletes who are a little heavy they may not provide enough cushioning and most don't have the cushioning in the heel to support heel strikers.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I have 2 sets, training and racing. The racing shoes are Asics Noosas, very light and IMHO faster. I can feel the difference if I wear the Noosas in training. However do get your gait checked out first and make sure you get the right shoes.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    TommiTri, I'm 76kg (and dropping) and 181cms (6'0"), with slight pronation, and a mid foot striker at the start, but tendancy to heel strike at fatigue set in. I was really looking at flats for 5km runs only, and was wondering whether there would be a benefit. Anything longer then I know I would need more support / cushioning.
  • DanteDante Posts: 22
    Hi TRIumphant,

I'm the same height but about 6kgs heavier and I race in specific race shoes - Asics Gel Hyperspeed:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/run/8/Asics_G ... 360043071/

They are certainly flatter, have next to no support, but I can feel the speed difference on race day. You can also use a pair of lock laces in them to speed things up in T2.

I have worn them for training over shorter distances and they are fine as long as you're not going off road.

They are also reasonably cheap, but should last you a couple of years of racing.

Cheers,
    Dan
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Dante, thanks for the link. I think a visit to my local shop for gait anaylis and a trial is on the cards. NEw PB here we come.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I'd say at that weight matey and the fact that you forefoot strike you should be fine with flats. I use mine for anything from 5k-half marathon and find they still provide enough comfort and support.

If you are a slight over-pronator then I would recommend saucony fasttwitch 3s, they have a little support in them, but are still a superlight racing shoe, you will love them!