Home Chat General Chat

Rest days . . .

I'm quite anal about my rest, and make sure that I do nothing Tri related on a Wednesday and Friday (except the Forum), as I know I should have some solid rest to allow the body to repair and recover. I probably do a bit too much on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursday, and weekends it's either race day or time with the family. The system seems to work OK for me, as I'm improving and so far injury free.

Strong bodies are built on the sofa, not in the gym.

However, traning buddies seem to do something everyday and just ignore rest, and seem to get away with it. Is rest really that improtant, or with compression technology and recovery bars/drinks etc is it not now a necesity?

Comments

• They are probably not pushing themselves hard enough??
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    That's what I keep telling. I'd rather have three good workouts and two rest day than five poor workouts. I know I'm doing the right thing, but sometimes you just doubt yourself.

(Note to self. Post new thread about mental training and PMA)
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I do know of someone who trains day in day out becuase he will get injured & therefore wants to be as fit as possible before the lay off, sounding very much like a self fulfilling prophesy to me.
    I love my training, but I love my days off too.
  • I've found that my body doesn't follow regular patterns, sometimes i'll feel great on my rest day but avoid training to allow recovery, the following day i'll feel like it's all just caught up with me and ahve to drag myself out .. or sometimes i think, no just listen to what your body is saying and take a second day's rest.
    One thing is for sure, once you are properly rested and recovered you always come back way stronger.
    I used to run everyday and now that I look back i was in a rut where i was not really progressing anywhere nearly as fast as i could have with a proper structure of rest days and then pushing gradually harder during training.

i think mental rest also helps .. in fact i have so much to say on that i will save it for another day.