Home Chat General Chat

Tri bars - Getting used to them

Hi,

Some guy at work has just let me borrow his bolt-on tri bars. Thing is I'm looking to potentially use them in the London Tri this Sunday (4 days time).

I haven't used them before, and I wondered how long it takes to get used to them. I'm thinking it puts different pressures on muscles which my body won't be used to.

How long do you reckon it takes to get used to them? Is it worth me giving them a go. I will probably have a couple of hours more ride time before the big event.

Cheers.

Comments

• TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Give it a go. It takes a while to get used to, bit of a stability issue initially, and a confidence issue being away from the brakes. But if you're a fairly confident cyclist, it won't take long.

Body position is slightly different, but I find it more relaxing as your upper body weight is resting on your elbows rather than the whole arm.

Just make sure you have a go on them before the day though, don't want Sunday being the first time you;ve tried them.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    You need to get the bike set up with the bars otherwise you will be overstretched and may actually be slower.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... kefit.html
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    IMO putting tri bars on your bike 4 days before London is a No No even more so when you have not used them before.

Could probably cause back problems thus causing a DNF on the run, then again you might not have any problems at all but is it worth the risk?

Definately worth putting on at some time,(end of season perhaps) but you need to give yourself quite a few rides to get use to them and also to tweak them to your position.

Good Luck Sunday.
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    Hi , I recently bought some Tri Bars (Profile T2+),i've only used them once ,was a bit weird at the start but soon got into it .
    Still on the drops going down hills though ,in case I need to break suddenly !!!!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    ts all about confidence with tri bars. et out there and use them. We careful not to try turning on them or corning till you feel confident. you might need to change your saddle position to make the power output worth having them.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    it took me a little while, maybe a month or so. for a lot of the time they were there and i'd almost be avoiding them (road's too bumpy, too much traffic, too dark, windy, day has a y in it, that sort of thing). i'm more used to them now and use them all the time on my commute.

no sure i'd leap in to using them this close to an event, but each to their own.
  • heymonkeyheymonkey Posts: 45
    I agree with bathtub about back ache. Tri-bars are something you may need to get used to over time - I certainly did. Slowly increase the percentage of time on them over a ride worked for me and avoided bach ache.
    If you're racing Sunday, you'll be doing the OD right? 40km may be too long on bars you're not used to, saying that, you don't have to use them!

I'd go for it - mentally they make you faster!
  • stagglystaggly Posts: 8
    Thanks for the comments.

I wasn't able to install them yesterday on the bike - which is a pain! My handlebars are too fat for the tri bars near the stem and taper down under the handlebar tape. Also a cable get's in the way.

Do I need to undo some of the handlebar tape, until the handlebar diameter is narrow enough for them to fit?

If I can fit them on this eve I'll give them a go. I feel pretty confident on the bike so hopefully won't take long to get used to them. Also, I don't usually suffer backpain, for example if I'm on the drops for an hour or so.