Home Chat General Chat

Turbo!!!!!

Good grief I thought you were all kidding re the sweat thing my ears are full of the stuff and I've dripped through the house - I'm supposed to be a lady and glow

So daft quaetion coming up only just sneaked this past the HAT officer and so don't have a computer for the bike rear wheel that will do cadence etc so does anyone know how to work out distance covered by rpm and time spent - yes I know I'm deeply sad wanting to know but I like my little charts to be complete

Comments

• TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    Measure the outer circumference of your rear wheel, that will give you the distance per revolution (call that A).

Formula should be A x ave RPM x time in minutes remember to divide back down to get it in metres/ km.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    ah the old physic distance = speed x time.

I was going to delve into the theory of vector speed but I can't be arsed.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    ok egg heads

tyre is a 700x23 so does that make the wheel size 70cm?
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    egghead huh?

Nah - I tink the 700 is the diameter, although it can vary between manufacturers and depends on the tire. You'll need to measure around the outside to get an accurate measure.
    ok wheel=195cm
    rpm= 100
    time= 15

and divide by?

=
  • You'll need to know what gear you're in to translate it to a wheel revs from pedal revs

basically

pedal revs x front cog teeth/back cog teeth = wheel revs per minute

wheel revs per minute x wheel circumference in metres = metres per minute
    good grief - I'm still at the I'm on the big wheel at the front and middle wheel at the back description when it comes to gears
  • OKay.

So let's assume (!!) that you're on 52 at the front and 19 (??) at the back.

so that will be:

100 x 52 / 19 = 273 revs of the rear wheel per min
    273 x 1.95m = 534m per minute so you're travelling 32kmh and covering 8km in your 15 mins.

hope this helps.
  • DanteDante Posts: 22
    It's probably easier to buy a cadence sensor!
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Have I logged onto the wrong Forum. Thought the maths on BCTTT was challenging, but WTF
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    so, what size are the rear cogs then? why do you need to know? does it matter?