Home Chat General Chat

sodium .. and that bacon sandwich

Hi all,

I was recently reading about the importance of replacing salts during hydration as well as water.
Apparently water alone can make a sodium depletion situation worse by diluting what little remains, i assume this occurs at the more extreme end of activities, I've had a big week of training so far and the final run last night was a real killer, i was so drained from the start and could only really hang on .. but have been more than happy with the training this week on the whole as have really pushed the boundaries a bit further. Now I'm on my rest period until the London race this Sat.

Anyway, I always use an energy drink of some kind to replace the bits that water may not, do you think i need to think about this or does it only really come into effect when you start doing long distance stuff like HIM+ ?
I have a pretty balanced diet so imagine that in itself replaces all the nutrients you need given appropriate rest periods .. also i had a bacon sandwich this morning. I am reasoning that this is replacing sodium reserves .. guiltily.

Comments

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Give nuun a go.

I love the stuff! Was using SiS electrolyte but just found it toooo sweet. Nuun has very little flavour, but just enough. I actually enjoy drinking it as opposed to forcing it down.

Comes in a handy tube as well, 12 tablets, pop one in 500ml of water and in two minutes bobs your uncle, fanny's your aunt.

Great for hydrating before a race as well. The salts help retain water in your muscles, rather than it coming straight out.
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Ditto to Flavadave. I became a Nuun convert a few weeks ago on recommendation from here and find that it's quite palatable and doesn't feel like it's rotting your teeth in the way SIS or Gatorade sometimes does.

Can be drunk before, during or after training to help with your hydration.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Third vote fo nuun. Drink it all the time I'm exercising. Would pop a tablet in my morning teat if I could.
  • Thanks will try that next, i've got berry flavoured powerbar at the moment, it's nice but after a single use your bottle smells of it no matter how much you wash it, or what you put in it next ... plus these kegs seem to last forever.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    TRIumphant wrote:
    Would pop a tablet in my morning teat if I could.
    Hello? Hello, Freud? Can we have your opinion on something?
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    sAltBaR_active wrote:
    do you think i need to think about this or does it only really come into effect when you start doing long distance stuff like HIM+ ?
    Yes - any sort of training can start to rob your body of essentials, and as you say water could dilute whats left over, and yes I'm another nuun user. Maybe only a weak mix sometimes but see how you feel.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Jack. You've got me all confused now. I meant to say "tea", or was it tit. Oh no, maybe I meant to say I re-hydrate from a Nun's tit. Bugger. I'm off to The Sound of Music