Home Chat General Chat

Training

Hi

I've just started doing triathlons and want to train over the winter to do some olympic distance events next year. I have a pulse meter but need a structured training program. does anyone have any advice on books/websites etc to get some suitable training advice? thanks for the help

Comments

• loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Dylan

Its a can of worms asking a question like that but some books I and other on here have used are

"The Triathletes Training Bible" - Joe Friel

"Triathlon 101" - John Mora

"The 12-week Triathlete" - Tom Holland

Have only used the top one. It is fairly sceintific but explains well how to apply the science to the real world.

as for websites search google for "triathlon traning" and I doubt you'll go far wrong...

• WellaWella Posts: 188
    Dylan,

I have all three and I'm currently working my way through the Triathletes bible. As Loon has stated it's quite technical so I'm taking my time in producing next years plan.

I reac Triathlon 101 in about a week as it gives you a real feel for what triathlon is about but I couldn't fault the 12 week triathlete for an easy to follow plan. I used it to train for my first sprint tri and will go back to it when I up the distance in the spring.

All 3 are great books so you'll be fine with any one you choose.

Wella.
  • DylanDylan Posts: 2
    thanks will try those!
  • kinbarkinbar Posts: 15
    I wouldn't recommend the Training Bible for putting together a training plan. The book is really good and thorough but I tried to put a plan together and it just seems to miss out great chunks of explanation. It's great at telling you how to plan your season, even week by week but then it just leaves you to sort out your weekly sessions by yourself. Which, to me, a one season novice, was the most important bit.

Don't get me wrong it is a good book but it assumes too much knowledge. I then read Iron Fit which was really good although designed for an Ironman - which I'm not. Between the two I have put together my own plan.

What gets really confusing is every book I have read calls the heart rate zones different things. Training Bible has 6 zones, Iron Fit has 4. I'm not sure what is regarded as the standard training ranges.

Good Luck

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Also try Friel's Going Long and 220 magazine