Home Chat General Chat

average speeds

I was wondering at what sort of average speed you guys train at and what your race everage is. My training averages vary from 27kmh up to 33kmh with my race avg speeds being from 34kmh to 39 kmh dependant on the course. Do you all see such differences between you avg training and racing speeds?

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I will never be able to swim that fast!!!!LOL

Average training speed in MIles is around 23 and as for race speed? never take te computer, leave that up to the triathlon gods.
    I suppose that must be 30 K but I tend to do drills or spurts as my training buddy calls them.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Don't tend to use speed,more HR when training,weather,road conditions make too much difference to concentrate on speed wereas HR is a more reliable stable.
    You youngsters and speed.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Agree with Jon.E. Never train at speed - it's too dependent on the terrain and wind. Wind especially. On the same route, speed might vary by as much as 10% - 15% for a given level of effort. Possibly more.

I train on Cadence, Power, Heart Rate - i.e. what you put in, and what you get out.

Racing - just go as fast as you can!
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    As everyone is saying here you cant really compare average speeds during races as there are so many factors but here a few avergae speeds from my races this year:

FGS Sprint (20km) - 26.4mph
    World Long Course Championships (120km) - 23.8mph
    Both of these were flat...

Bala Middle distance (80km) - 22.3mph
    Horwich Standard (44km) - 21.7mph
    Both Very Hilly

Now in training my rides vary from 16-17mph all the way through to over 30mph depending on session.

I always go on feel during a race, if im 'hurting' throughout the bike ie breathing hard sweating my t*ts off then im going as fast as I can go.

But one thing is for sure........ if you train slow you will race slow so make sure you put in plenty of training that is at or above your intended 'race pace'
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    dam right Conehead, I did too!
    when you go out for easy stuff I wouldn't bother with it, it will only make you put too much effort in.
    I do have the GPS on though when I do hard sessions tho as it helps chart my progress.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Done a 20k yesterday over my hill training route. Ave 24kph.

Done the same today, ave speed 27kph.

Effort the same, kept constant. Difference was the wind. Yesterday was blowing a gale over the moor roads. Today, hardly a breeze.

Focus on effort as there are too many variables that can cause ave speed to drop. Wind, terrain, your effort, the bike, etc etc