Home Chat General Chat

Tri specific Bikes

I have just signed up for next years London TRi which is my first event, is it worth buying a Tri specific bike?( I have my eye on a Quintana Roo Tequilo) and does anyone have any views on this bike?

Comments

• rob1rob1 Posts: 10
    Hi, my first Tri was London 2006, I spent £600 on a new bike which was fine as I used it for all my training prior and im planning on entering 5 or 6 races races in 2007, however there were many people racing on mountain bikes and hybrids, I think I was also overtaken by someone on a foldaway bike as well.

I suppose it is down to you, dont feel pressured into spending too much but if you have the cash and are likely to use the bike frequently then why not.
  • steveosteveo Posts: 69
    i have just completed my first full year in tri on a second hand trek 1000. i have now upgraded as i am sure i will be competing for the forseeable furture.

it is a big expense for something you might never do again. i would spend the money on a decent pair of trainers or the hire of a good wetsuit. little things can go along way!
  • I GOT A QUINTANA ROO KILO FROM WIGGLE.CO.UK THIS YEAR,I MUST SAY I LOVE IT!!!!!!

ITS A GREAT BIKE,BUT I WOULD WAIT TILL EARLY NEXT YEAR(2007) AND BUY A 2006 MODEL,YOU CAN GET SOME REAL GOOD DEALS!!!
  • rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    Dude, it's about the biker, not the bike, as Lance would say (and, I think Dupree via Owen Wilson said).

Don't go crazy spending lots of money on a tri-specific bike until you've put in a lot of training miles and maybe have done a race or two - echoing steveo's advice. A tri-specific bike may also not give you the flexibility you want in a more general purpose bike for other road-riding you want to do (like tri-specific handlebars as opposed to a road bike with some £30-90 tri-bars attached).

Another thing that's good to spend your money on if you want to get ready for some races next year would be a turbo trainer, which is especially handy through the winter months when the freezing weather makes road training an unattractive option.

But, yeah, if you have the cash and are probably going to do lots of bicycling anyway - echoing rob1 up there - then go for it.

• leigh35leigh35 Posts: 28
    Cheers for the advice guys.[:)]
  • Hi Leigh,

Just to add a bit more to your ?. You always have the options of 'hiring' bikes, as well as wetsuits etc....this could be a good option for anyone who is new to the sport. Imagine spending all of that lovely dosh, and then realising that perhaps its not for you.

However, you may be as fit as a fiddle and the next World Champ, so good luck.

I have a 'Tri Specific' , a Felt S25. Before that I had a Trek 1000. The Trek served me well for the first season, however the Felt is a another level. It certainly made the difference this season.

Anyhow, good luck with the decision

[:)]
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    I learnt an important lesson.

Don't go out drinking with a mate, then find a bike shop with a heavily discounted bike that seems to be exactly what you wanted. Then slightly tipsy (never having ridden a tri bike before) take it out in heavy traffic and get into the aero position before realising said traffic has stopped. I nearly didn't do the borrowed cycling shorts any favours.

I bought the bike. And was exptionally lucky to get an amazing bike. so yeah, to echo the others comments, think carefully about what you need hen take your time getting one!