Home Chat General Chat

Run fitness

md6md6 Posts: 969
So after my crash a few weeks ago I haven't been out for any real running. I didn't think this would be a problem as my average run milage was about 25 with my long run being between 12 and 14 (building for a half mara). so 2 weeks pass and i have just been to the gym 3 times on the bike and rode to work. I went for a bit of a tempo run at lunchtime today and nearly died. the first mile was 30s faster than my 10k pace and the second was about 30s slower. Then i was shot. i could not force myself to keep going for the 3rd mile i had planned. As i stopped i realised that my lungs were ok and that it was simply my lower legs which were shot. It wasn't pain, just muscle fatigue. Is this normal after a few weeks not running? Should i try and go for LSD for a little while?

I really needed to work on tempo stuff as i have my first OD on 16th of this month, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I wouldn't worry too much. Yes, after a week or so, your "fitness" starts to decline.. but only by a small percentage. And it will soon come back.

Go through your normal week (i.e. a mix of things, and you will be back to where you were). You might want to do some quality to blow away the cob webs, then a nice recovery run.. but otherwise, pick up where you left off and you will be fine.

It may have felt hard for other reasons - hydration, tiredness, being a bit stressed etc. You did have a far bit of soft tissue damage (bruising, cuts). Skin heals the quickest - its job is to seal off the wounds from the outside world as quickly as possible - but it takes a lot longer for the deeper tissues to repair. So that could be a factor as well.

Anyway, a couple of sessions and you'll be back where you were.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Don't listen to Jack or me we're just fun runners doing 41-43 for a 20k
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    GHarv wrote:
    Don't listen to Jack or me we're just fun runners doing 41-43 for a 10k
    True. And even doing that just leads to season/career threatening injury.

Apparently, if you can go faster than 6 mins miles, you naturally forefoot strike. I suspect that that is the cut off between an injury prone fun running, and someone doing it properly.

So, just stay in bed unless you can do sub 6 min miles on an easy run.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Hey Jack!

Hows the injury/ recovery coming along?
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    cheers, i think you're probably right i still think there is a lot of tissue damage as i still have some aches and pains. I guess i'll just push on through and try to do as much as i can.

yes as another fun runner, i feel terrible being about a 45 min 10k runner. although i can 6min mile - it is only for the 1 mile...and then my legs hurt.