Home Chat General Chat

Hever Castle

Just got back from a rather lazy holiday and decided things have been slacking lately so I entered the Hever Castle tri for 27 September.

Any other SE London based peeps doing it? Anyone done it before and got any insights?

I've entered the longer event - 800m swim (have only swum 400m before so instantly bricking it)

Comments

• SuzieDSuzieD Posts: 12
    I hadn't even heard of it but having just looked at the website I am quite tempted.... mainly because I am a history teacher and it sounds cool!

I know I must get out of the tweed with leather arm patches!!

Having just done London OD I am thinking 'The Anne Boleyn' sounds rather fun
    Couldn't do OD again... and face the students on the Monday in pain!

Suzie
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    I know I must get out of the tweed with leather arm patches!!

Is that what teacher wear now then ?
  • SuzieDSuzieD Posts: 12
    Yep.... apparently all history teachers do......we have an image to maintain!!!

Although some students are confused as they are more likely to see me swimming, cycling or running than at school - their faces are usually a picture
  • I'm there already...booked it last week. Only do the lightweight Anne Bollen distance though. Looks great, especially as I go there pretty much once or twice a month anyway with the wife and kids as we live so local. It's a beautiful place even if the lake is brim full of pike and eels (ouch - armoured wetsuit anyone?)

I'm goto Tooting Bec Lido for some swimming followed by a 5k run round the common straight after (the Lido is in the middle of the common so it's good brick training) quite regularly so if you ever fancy joining in lemme know.
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    Steve

Have you any idea on whether the course is flat or hilly?

Ta

Dave
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    i was just looking at this last night, and think I'll sign up for the longer event myself. Interested to know if anyone has eny experience of previous events.
    i think it is the first one they have run. in future years you can boast to the grandkids that you were there at the beginning! t-shirt will be worth a small fortune too

or not
  • LexLex Posts: 65
    Apparently this is the inaugural event here. Im signed up for the longer distance (Henry VIII?). Looks like a less manic version of Blenheim on the website. Shame the swim and run dont match the bike in being the full standard distance.

Have a mate who lives near by who thinks the bike course is a tough one. He is a big time cyclist and recently rode the Alpe d'huez so if he thinks it looks tough it should be fun!
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Sounds good. Think I'm going to sign up.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Would like to do this one, but its a week after Tatton... kind of get the feeling that the misses was looking forward to a normal weekend after that.

Does look good though.
  • jasejase Posts: 47
    Knowing the area the course is going to be pretty hilly

Theres a great pub just round the corner though for afterwards
  • jasejase Posts: 47
    Appear to have just signed up....I hate it when that happens
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Looks like an interesting one but unfortunately I can't make it
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    jase wrote:
    Appear to have just signed up....I hate it when that happens
    I bet the card fell out of your wallet and the numbers just appeared on the screen - I often have the same problem!
  • by plotting the bike course on the good old mapmyride, there is one hill almost straight after T1 that rises about 350feet, other than that there is a slight bump half way round the loop but that is it.

Looks good fun, think I might go for the sprint version, it will make a nice change from the ironman.
  • I havent checked the course route yet but Hever castle and the grounds themselves are quite high up...so I guess we may be in for some hills!
    reckon I might be up for this... mentioned it in passing to the misses last night and didn't meet with any hostility! Woohoo!
    did you actually explain that its the week after Tatton or aciidentally forget that bit?
    deeess wrote:
    did you actually explain that its the week after Tatton or aciidentally forget that bit?
    Yes I think I might have neglected to mention that bit.
  • Dont forget to tell her it's in a really stunning setting with 2 cutsie tea rooms, a castle (with matching moat), a maze, lots of peacocks, swans, etc. My wife and kids are only too happy to come along to this one and it's got nothing to do with watching me murder myself along with several hundred other loons.

The place is bootiful.
  • Just signed up as well, 3 of us coming along from the sunny worthing looks fun, lovely setting,

see you all there
    All signed up for Henry VIII. Last tri of the season and looks a good one to finish on!
  • Just signed up for a nice little sprint round the castle (Anne Boleyn), should be interesting.
    I went for Henry VIII. So worried about the swim I have now booked some coaching sessions with SwimforTri. Hopefully that will get me round
  • good luck to everyone this sunday at Hever

I am off in the 8.30am start so when you see a keen fat bloke in a too tight blue "tuff fitty club" tri suit would you mind slowing down for me.

catch you hopefully Sunday