Home Chat General Chat

Fatman to Ironman

Het dudes, i am am halfway through my Ironman journey and feeling proud of myself for completing the UK Ironman 70.3 in only my 2nd season, then .....bam, i get a full page in this months 220 about my race. Unbelievable. They didn't mention the club i belong to so i am putting it up on here. http://www.andovertriathlon.org.uk
Hopefully i am flying the flag for all us "slow, big units" and maybe can encourage a few more newbies to the sport. Thanks to everyone who has supported me along the way. my blog is at http://www.realbuzz.com/blogs/u/jasonnawty/fatman-2-ironman-uk-09-a-journey-by-jason-br/

Next stop Bolton 2010
Jase Briley

Comments

• nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    I read this story in my mag that arrived last night and thought what a great story. Well done mate, I'm doing the IM next weekend so keep looking for a race report after the 3rd.

Great to read and great inspiration to us all, cheers.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Exactly how big and slow is 'big and slow'? Are there pictures?
  • jasonnawtyjasonnawty Posts: 20
    I had got down from 20 stone to 17 stone in time to do it. I should be lighter but the more i train, the more crap i was eating. Changed my out look after it though and now i train hard and eat sensible. I am down to 16.5 already. Thanks for asking mate. Still did it in 7hours 53 which is slow compared to the rest of the field but fast for me. There is a picture of me on the run where you get a good shot of my belly. Lol
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Strewth! Bravo mate, hats off to you indeed
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    well done mate, I have to say the photo in the mag you looked very comfortable on the run (maybe you saw the camera - i always straighten up and smile for the camera...)

Congrats...good luck for IMUK next year!
    thanks mate, i prefer my finshers photo as i am well sucking it in there, but i think they used the "you dont have to be a 9 stone whippet to finish a half-ironman" phot to encourage others to hae a go. London this weekend. See if i can win my weight catergory. Lol.[attachment=0:476cc5ae]Jase Finishers Photo comp.jpg[/attachment:476cc5ae]
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Fantatsic. Got my first HIM in August, and I hope I can enjoy it as much as you seem to.
    Thanks and good luck with your HIM. Oh yeah, the other thing is i having been looking for an excuse since the end of my first season to upgrade my 2007 SCR 02, but now i love it again and am not going to up grade it until it dies as it saw me throught the toughest race of my life. I even passed people with carbon bikes with bits of it in their hands crying. My trusty little £250, second hand Giant, is my best friend now and i feel guilty for trying to get rid of it. Lol
    Sometimes the best love is built during times of adversity. . .
    This is true. Is there any spaces on any other Middle distnce races this season? I fancy doing another.
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    Hi Jase,

Really like the spread you got in the mag this month. I also fit into the "big" category< I have dropped from 17st to around 14st in two years of training. You over took me on the second lap on the hill out of Morebath and I saw you again on the run - plus you gave me a few words of encouragement on the out and back loop of the run - really helped me in a bad moment

Good effort in getting such a good time - I came in where every good BCTTT member should - holding my head high and supporting the bottom of the results table - 8:54 finish!!

Won't see you at IM UK2010 as I am doing IM CH next year but good luck!
    I do remeber you mate. I love the camaraderie of the ironman / triathlon community. And i am glad i could help you in a small way get to you goal. I am jealous of your photo with Phillip Graves though. Hopefully we will meet up again on the circuit somewhere. I like the line "fat boys have to TRI harder". It's bloody true. Lol.
  • Hi Jason,

Well done mate..

I too am a 17st Triathlete!! I always suggest that there should be weight groups so skinny athletes compete against other skinny ones and the less athletic go against each other..

I've just entered The Little Woody, it's a training run for my A race the New Forest Middle in September.

The Little Woody looks very good vale for money (only £60-65) and there are no cut off times for the bike/run, therefore it is possible to take it at a steady rate (my plan anyway)

https://www.blacksheepsports.co.uk/secure/order.aspx?id=3606

I too am aiming for an IM next year..

Scotty
    Don't get bogged down too much on the weight issue and special Fat Boy Races, you'll be suggesting they have Women Only races next.

As to Little Woody, I'm in, and it's my first step up to HIM distance, with the intention of IM next year.
    I like the look of the little Woody. I will discus with the wife. New Forest is so close to me but it is full, they say they are re-opening for entires on 3 august but im am not sure how that will work. It is in late september so great to finish the season off with tihs. I am going to e-mail them now.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Jase - Do little Woody ... can't remember if I told you on Sunday or not ... I have booked it 4 weeks to go after London.

its Dan btw ... though you can probably tell from my signature.
    It's the expense of travelling and staying away again though Dan. If i can get into New forest my freind live a mile from the lake and can kill 2 birds. If i cant get in i might try the Little Woody.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Its free camping for both Friday night and Saturday night and pasta party I beleive... and only £65 entry ... Go on you know you want to
  • I'd seconded the LW, free camping (2 nights) apparently with showers and toliets.. Free Pasta party the night before all for only £65.. if only all events were this good value for money...
    I would consider it for the free camping but there is no electric pitches and i need to power my breathing machine that i have to use at night. So it's a no-go. Sorry dudes.
  • Mate , absolutely fantastic achievement and a brilliant milestone on your way to the full IM, I read the article and I must say it has inspired me to get my IM dream back on track. Well done, that is a brilliant time regards of size and shape as the UK 70.3 is tough according to all the write ups. You have given me a seriously kick up the proverbial and I now focusing on an IM for 2010 ! With regards to your training plan did you use a coach or did you just structure your own training plan ?
  • Thanks man. I took a plan from the internet and adapted what i already did into it. I can send you it on excel spread sheet if you want? Its a 19 week countdown plan and has weeks of 8 hrs training up to 15hrs on some weeks. But you havn't got to do them all. How far did you get with your IM journey?
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    "Breathing Machine" made my ears prick up. Is that for sleep apnoeia, or something else? If it is weight related, with all the weight loss do you still need it? Have they reassessed you lately? Have you got a weight target?

I am humbled by your awesome performance - seriously well done.

I'm sure there's a premier inn not too far away from LW - weekend rates are pretty low - and you can squeeze the whole family into one room.
  • Yeah, i have sleep apnea where my throat closes 300 times a night so my brain has to wake up and open the throat again. This means i never get any REM sleep and can fall asleep withing seconds anywhere, even whilst driving or at dinner. My machine forces air down my throat at night via a mask to keep the airway open so everthing is normal.
    I am lucky really,i could have got any one of a million more serious conditions, at least this isn't terminal, just a pain in the arse. This was due to being 20 stone and having fat inside my neck and my muscles being stretched but it is not a definite that it will go back even when i lose the weight.
    I did chain smoke filter-less rollups until three years ago and my cholestorol was a whopping 7.2 i checked it after a year of not smoking and going to the gym and it had gone down to 2.8. So there is another thing to help all you smoker out. I did it cold turkey. Not easy to start with but it feels like i never smoked now. Brilliant.
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    Brilliant jason well done, i've not read the post before as i've not been on the forum much...i'm well impressed by what you've achieved and found it pretty inspirational...i've not read the magazine (is there an online link to the article as i might have missed it by now). how old are you mate??
  • Error whilst Doing a Replacement, The source data specified for this string or binary column or parameter is too long.
  • Curly68Curly68 Posts: 21
    What an inspiration! I read your story in the mag and loved it then. I haven't yet competed in triathlon (did duathlon over 10 years ago for a year), I am a biggie as well (16 stone after competing in bodybuilding a few years ago). Hoping to trim down a bit as I suffer on the run.
    Didn't have a 70.3 or full IM in my list to do but may have now. Keep up the good work and love your tats, I'm covered also!
    An inspiring thread, which I've now read numerous times, and conscious it was going to disappear over the page, so this should bump it back to the top.
  • I am glad you felt the need to bump it. It seems i am starting to inspire others, so that's quite cool. Thanks. I think there should be a weight catergory at triathlons. Apparently in the USA they have an over 100kgs group. I think i would do ok in that. Lol
    Sat here in a lot of pain at the mo from my crash at London. Can't train as my shoulder keeps spasm'ing and whenever i breath in deep my ribs hurt too. Gutted.
  • Crash at London?!? Hope you are okay - remember to rest up after a bad spill - I came off at about 45kph in Feb and my ribs still hurt at the 70.3! Lesson learned - take time to heal....